Directions to Kingston Campus
The main campus of the University of Rhode Island is located in Kingston, 30 miles south of Providence, 75 miles from Boston, and 160 miles from New York City. R.I. Route 138, which connects with Interstate Route 95 ten miles to the west, passes through Kingston.
Set your GPS to: 45 Upper College Road, Kingston, RI (URI Visitors Center)
Our main entrance is at the traffic light signaling the junction of Route 138 and Upper College Road. On your right, just past the first intersection on Upper College Road, you will find the Visitors Center, open year-round Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Saturdays during the academic year 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.) If you have special needs, please call 401.874.2133.
If you plan to park your car on campus Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., you MUST get a parking pass from the Visitors Center.
Directions by Car to the Main Entrance
From the north, take I-95 South to Exit 9 (Route 4 South) in RHODE ISLAND, follow Route 4 to Route 1 South. Stay on Route 1 until the intersection of Route 138 West. Route 138 West will bring you to the University.
From the south, take I-95 North to Exit 3A (Route 138 East). Continue east on Route 138 to the University.
From Newport, follow Route 138 West over the Newport and Jamestown bridges to Route 1. Take Route 1 South to Route 138 West. Follow Route 138 West to the University.
Coming for an Admission visit? We’ve got some additional information for you.
Directions by Car to the Ryan Center
From the north: Follow directions above to Rt. 4 South to Exit 5B, Rt. 102, towards Exeter. Turn left onto South County Trail (Rt. 2), and follow for approximately seven miles, then turn left onto Rt. 138. Follow Rt. 138 approximately 1.5 miles to the Rt. 110 intersection (Plains Rd.). Then turn left and follow parking signs to the Ryan Center.
From the south: Follow directions above to Rt. 138 East and follow Rt. 138 to traffic light at the Rt. 110 intersection (Plains Rd.). Turn left and follow parking signs to the Ryan Center.
GO GREEN! Use public transit.
- Amtrak 800.872.7245. The Kingston railroad station is less than a mile from URI.
- R.I. Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) 401.781.9400, 800.244.0444.
- RIPTA bus 66 connects URI to the Kingston railroad station, Wakefield, Galilee, Narragansett, Warwick, and Providence (dozens of weekday buses daily in both directions).
- RIPTA bus 64 connects URI to the Kingston railroad station, Narragansett, Jamestown, and Newport (a dozen weekday buses daily in both directions).
- RIPTA bus 210/211, Kingston Flex, provides door-to-door service by reservation only. Call toll-free (in R.I.) 877.906.FLEX (3539).
- Peter Pan Bus Lines (800.556.3815) connect Providence and Newport to diverse locations nationwide.
- T.F. Green International Airport, about 20 miles from URI, provides bus transportation and car rentals.
Getting around campus
Free campus shuttles circulate every few minutes during peak class hours, weekdays during the academic term. See Kingston Connection for detailed information.