- Professor of Sociology
- Chafee Hall, Rm 177
- Phone: 401.874.4135
- Email: email@example.com
Leo Carroll teaches courses in policing, punishment and corrections, and criminal justice policy at the University of Rhode Island where he also serves as the chair of the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. He has authored or co-authored two books and more than thirty articles in professional journals and collections of scholarly works.
In recognition of his scholarship, Carroll has served as a Visiting Research Fellow in the Center for Criminal Justice at Harvard Law School, as a fellow at the Economic and Social Research Institute in Dublin, Ireland, and as the George Beto Professor in the College of Criminal Justice at Sam Houston State University in Texas. One of his books Lawful Order: Correctional Crisis and Reform was named the Outstanding Book by a member of the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences in 2000. He is also a recipient of the URI President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Criminal justice (especially policing and corrections)
- The intersection of race, ethnicity and criminal justice
- Ph.D., Brown University, 1974
- M.A., Fordham University, 1965
- B.A., Providence College, 1963
- “Mass Incarceration and the Conditions of Confinement,” (with S. Calci and A. Wilson) in The Oxford Handbook of Prisons and Imprisonment ed. by P. Smith and J. Woolredge. N.Y. Oxford University Press. Forthcoming 2016.
- “Out of Place: Racial Stereotypes and the Ecology of Frisks and Searches Following Traffic Stops,” (with M. L. Gonzalez). Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 51 (August 2014): 559-84.
- “Racial Desegregation in Prisons,” (with C.R. Trulson, J. W. Marquart and C. Hemmens). The Prison Journal 88 (June 2008):270-99.
- “Prison Siting, Rural Development, Racism and Justice Reinvestment,” Criminology and Public Policy 3 (June 2004): 481-88.
- “The Use of Incarceration in the United States,” (with J. Austin, M. Bruce, P. McCall, and S. Richards). Critical Criminology: An International Journal 10 (2001): 17-41.
- “Race, Rights and Order in the Prison: A National survey of Prison Wardens on the Racial Integration of Prison Cells,” (with M. Henderson, F. Cullen and W. Feinberg) The Prison Journal 80 (September 2000): 295-308.