Charleve Carey

Major:   Wildlife Conservation Biology

Hometown:  South County, RI

Favorite Class at URI:

So many of the classes required for Wildlife majors are amazing; lots of hands-on learning, with outstanding professors. My personal favorites were Field Ornithology and Field Botany. Both involve weekly outdoor labs, and are exciting, challenging and informative.

Hands-on Experience:

The greatest experience I’ve had in my undergrad was a research expedition offered through the NRS dept. Eight other students and I studied mammalian biodiversity on a Costa Rican coffee farm for a month. It definitely got me hooked on hard, gritty fieldwork. Currently, I am doing an independent research project on European Starling energetics and am the teaching assistant for Ornithology. Also, I work in the NRS Watershed Hydrology lab, helping graduate students collect data in the field.

Why URI and CELS?

I came to URI as an Art History major. I wanted to stay close to home and URI was the best option. I switched over to the CELS Natural Resources Dept. not only because maintaining our natural resources is something I’m extremely passionate about, but also because it is a nationally competitive program and one of the best offered at the university.

Clubs & Activities:

I am a member of the URI Outing Club. It is a great club, filled with good people who like hiking and doing other fun outdoor activities. I participate in special wildlife events, like the Northeastern Wildlife Conclave and local bird counts. And, I am also a member of the cast of this year’s production of the Vagina Monologues.

Top 3 Favorite Things about the URI area:

1. A lot of places close by to go biking and hiking.
  2. The beaches are nice any time of year.
  3. You’re in Rhode Island- anything you could want or need is within an hour of campus.

What should prospective students know about URI and CELS?

My time at URI has been wonderful. I made friends with a lot of interesting people, learned an incredible amount, and am leaving with a credible education that I’m proud of. I think being able to state all those things says a lot about a university. The CELS department is one of the best. The facilities and educators are top-notch.

Words of wisdom for new students:

Do what you love! The only way to excel is to study what you’re most passionate about. And get out there! Make sure your professors know you, do extracurricular activities, and immerse yourself into your department as much as possible. You’ll meet the greatest people, get to experience the greatest opportunities, and have to greatest time.