Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my advisor?
Why can’t I register for classes?
I left URI some time ago and want to return. What should I do?
I have a dispute with a professor over my grade. What should I do?
How do I receive certification of enrollment for a good driver discount or for other insurance purposes?
How do I change majors?
How do I declare a minor?
May I walk through the commencement ceremony in May if I still need to take a few courses over the summer?
I have transfer credits that haven’t been posted to my transcript. What do I do?
Why did some of my courses transfer to URI and others did not?
I don’t agree with how my transfer credit was originally evaluated. What should I do?
What is a permission number, and when would I need it?
What is a credit override and when would I need it?

Who is my advisor?

For students in University College for Academic Success, please use the URI advisement link on your ecampus to find out who your assigned advisor is. You can also use this link to schedule an appointment with your advisor.

For students in CELS, you can contact your department to find out who your assigned advisor is.

Jump to top Jump to top

Why can’t I register for classes?

There may be a number of reasons, but it is usually because you have a sanction on your record. Sanctions are imposed for a variety of reasons, among which are owing money to the University (including the Library, lab breakage, etc) and health (vaccination history). See Enrollment Services for details.

Fill out a Readmission form (the CELS Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services both have them) and bring or mail it to the CELS Office of Student Affairs. You will be contacted to set up a re-admit appointment.

Jump to top Jump to top

Start with the professor. The problem may be as simple as a computational error. The professor can change the grade and will go through the CELS Office of Student Affairs to do so. If the situation is still unresolved and you have exhausted communications with the professor, your next step is to approach the Department Chair. Student Affairs staff are available to assist you with the process.

Enrollment Services handles these requests.

Jump to top Jump to top

How do I change majors?

It is always best to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options when you are considering changing your major. After you have met with the appropriate advisor you can fill out a change of major form and submit it to the CELS Office of Student Affairs.

How do I declare a minor?

Minor forms are located in the CELS Office of Student Affairs and online. To declare a minor, a student must have the approval of the Department Chair of the minor field of study and the CELS Assistant Dean Kimberly Anderson. Application for the minor must be filed in the CELS Student Affairs Office no later than the beginning of the student’s final semester or term.

A minimum quality point average of 2.00 must be earned in the minor courses, and at least 12 of the 18 credits must be numbered 200 level or above. Minor courses may not be taken on a pass-fail basis. Click here for a list of some possible minor options.

Jump to top Jump to top

Students may participate in the May commencement ceremonies if they will graduate in August.

You can hand-deliver a transcript if it is an official, sealed envelope from the institution. You can also request that the institution sends an official transcript to:

The University of Rhode Island
CELS, Office of Student Affairs
130 CBLS
Kingston, RI 02881-0804

Jump to top Jump to top

Only grades of C or better will transfer. Also, we transfer only college-level courses at the 100 level or higher.

A student can submit a transfer credit re-evaluation form. This process requires that the student provide a course description to the appropriate Department Chair for a re-evaluation. Please bring the completed form to the CELS Office of Student Affairs.

Jump to top Jump to top

A permission number is your “ticket” into a course. If you want to get into a course that is closed or requires instructor consent, you can try to obtain a permission number from the professor who teaches the course. The professor will provide you with a permission number that you must then enter when registering for the course in eCampus.

A credit override is needed when enrolling in a course that puts a student over the maximum number of allowed credits. Bring the completed form to the CELS Office of Student Affairs for the Dean’s signature and then submit the form to Enrollment Services in Green Hall.

Jump to top Jump to top