Jennifer Mulcahy

Major:  Wildlife & Conservation Biology

Hometown:  Cranston, RI

Favorite Class at URI:

Wildlife Management Techniques lab (NRS 309) with Dr. Scott Williams. I got to learn about many types of birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians and how to conduct research studies to help improve their quality of life. I also really like Field Ornithology and Forestry. There are so many great classes, it’s hard to choose just one.

Hands-on Experience:

I have had an internship at the URI Center for Vector-Borne Disease where I collected ticks and tested them for various diseases. I have volunteered with the URI Watershed Watch helping to improve the water quality of ponds in Cranston. I have mentored elementary school students in the SMILE (Science and Math Investigative Learning Experience) program and I’ve had many hands-on labs as part of my classes.

Why URI and CELS?

I transferred to URI from another college because of the environmental programs here. CELS is a small enough college that you get a personal connection with everyone, but large enough to provide valuable and exciting research opportunities.

Clubs & Activities:

I’ve been a part of the Outing Club, Habitat for Humanity, The Renaissance Yearbook, volunteered for the Athletics department and been a SMILE mentor.

Top 3 Favorite Things about the URI area:

1. The beach and eating clam chowder.
  2. The farmland and local farm stands.
  3. The opportunities for outdoor recreation: hiking, snowshoeing, kayaking, and cross-country skiing.

What should prospective students know about URI and CELS?

URI and CELS offer amazing learning opportunities from internships to summer classes in other countries. I’ve really enjoyed meeting great professors and interesting people. URI is a great size for student involvement and spirit.

Words of wisdom for new students:

Involve yourself in anything that interests you. It may help you choose a major or simply find some great new friends. College goes by fast, take advantage of everything you can.