Compost Education Programs
Landfills across the country are steadily reaching capacity, and that is no exception here in Rhode Island. We extend the latest, verifiable research on compost practices to residents interested in learning how to convert precious resources (i.e. waste) into a beneficial soil amendment. By encouraging composting, we are decreasing our waste stream, enhancing landscape health and improving air and water quality.
URI invests an experienced Extension Educator with adult education expertise to:
- Network with farms, civic organizations and URI faculty and staff;
- Develop and implement the Master Composter Core Training, Advanced Compost Series and yearlong workshops; and
- Coordinate the consortium of residents who extend their knowledge out to their communities.
We gather the latest, verifiable information about compost practices and resources to share in classroom and field sessions with RI residents interested in creating healthy soil by reducing the amount of waste generated inside and outside their homes.
Saturday June 6th and 13th
More information and registration details will be added soon. Sign up for our emails to stay connected!
Compost & Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) Educator
NBC10 Plant Pro host
Master Composter Core Training Details:
The Core Training curriculum, taught by URI faculty, staff and industry experts, includes:
- Compost fundamentals
- Concepts in Microbiology and Chemistry
- Compost Safety Concerns
- Waste & Resource Management in RI