Energy Fellows Program
In response to a growing need for experiential learning opportunities for students outside the classroom, the URI Outreach Center created the Energy Fellows Program in 2007 to provide a year-long internship opportunity for graduate and undergraduate students interested in sustainability issues related to renewable energy and energy efficiency topics.
The Outreach Center’s Energy Fellows Program Coordinator (who also coordinates the Science & Engineering Fellows Program) manages both the fellowship program and energy projects, and recruits and hires undergraduate and graduate students into fellowship positions where they are afforded invaluable experience addressing real-world energy issues working in interdisciplinary teams with faculty, staff and outside organizations. Fellows also receive training in general energy topics as well as specialized professional development training in leadership and communications. Throughout the course of their internship, Fellows attend field trips statewide, actively participate in outreach events and present their work to the University community and general public.
Undergraduate and graduate students leave the Energy Fellows Program with an understanding of current energy issues in the State of Rhode Island and their potential role to take part in managing those issues in the energy field. We prepare our students to enter the job market with the professional skills and training needed to succeed.
When does the program start and how often do students work?
- Selected Fellows begin work in January and continue through December
- Students work 10-20 hours/week during the spring and fall semesters and 35-40 hours/week during the summer
- The year culminates in December as Fellows showcase their project and findings to the university community at the CELS Fellowships Poster Celebration
Who should apply?
- URI undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in any academic major through December 2016 may apply
- Students who have a passion for sustainable energy and demonstrate the ability to produce high quality work will be selected