Jie Shen Wins Prestigious Pharmaceutical Award

Photo by Mike Salerno
URI photo by Mike Salerno

By Neil Nachbar

The International Pharmaceutical Excipients Council (IPEC) Foundation recently announced that Jie Shen of the University of Rhode Island is this year’s winner of the Emerging Researcher Award.

Shen is an assistant professor in URI’s chemical engineering department and biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences department.

“I was thrilled when I found out that I won,” said Shen. “This award is very competitive. People apply from all over the world. I’m also excited that part of the award will be used to provide training opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students. The recognition is a great start to my career at URI.”

Although Shen is a young professor who just joined the URI faculty in the fall of 2016, she is a well-accomplished researcher. According to Google Scholar, she already has 36 published research articles.

“This award is an exciting accomplishment for Jie, as it recognizes the great research she is leading and her potential to significantly impact the field of pharmaceutical engineering,” said Geoffrey Bothun, chair of URI’s department of chemical engineering.

IPEC’s criteria for the award is “demonstrated interest in and dedication to the area of excipients in terms of: published manuscripts and a research proposal in the area of excipient scientific/technological research.”

“My research is focused on developing and manufacturing advanced drug delivery systems, which is all directly or indirectly related to the safe and effective use of excipients,” explained Shen. “My previously published manuscripts and current proposed research are aligned with the mission of IPEC-Americas.”

One of the research projects Shen is currently working on in URI’s Pharmaceutics Lab is the development of novel drug delivery systems for the treatment of eye cancer. The project is funded by RI-INBRE.

Prior to joining the faculty at URI, Shen was an assistant research professor at the University of Connecticut, from 2014 to 2016. She received her doctorate in pharmaceutical sciences from China Pharmaceutical University in Nanjing, China in 2009.

Shen will receive her award at the IPEC Foundation awards dinner in November.