Am I Eligible?
In order to be eligible for the URI Chinese Language Flagship Partner Program, you must possess the following:
- Professional goals involving the use of the Chinese language
- Commitment to intensive study of Chinese throughout the program, including winter and summer study
- Commitment to a year of study and professional internship in China
- Eligibility for the URI Honors Program
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Strong academic background in a world language, which may include: demonstrated proficiency in the language, GPA, long-term commitment to the language, involvement in extracurricular activities related to the target language and culture.
- Demonstrated leadership and community involvement
- Strong time management skills
How Do I Apply?
High School Seniors: The priority application deadline for freshmen entering the Chinese Flagship Program is April 1 of your senior year in high school. Once you are accepted to URI, apply online. Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis until space is filled.
Current Undergraduate Students: The priority application deadline for current URI undergraduate students is November 1st (Fall 2015 semester) and April 1st (Spring 2016 semester). Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application: The application requires a personal statement and three letters of recommendation, one of which must come from a Chinese or other language teacher.
After reviewing applications, we will schedule telephone interviews in mid-December for current URI students and in mid-April for high school seniors. The interviews are partially in Chinese for students who have studied Chinese. The committee looks for students who demonstrate a commitment to languages, a strong desire to incorporate Chinese into their long-term professional goals, and are Honors-eligible.