Am I Eligible?
In order to be eligible for the URI Chinese Language Flagship Partner Program, you must possess the following:
- Professional goals involving the use of the Chinese language
- Commitment to intensive study of Chinese throughout the program, including winter and summer study
- Commitment to a year of study and professional internship in China
- Eligibility for the URI Honors Program
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Strong academic background in a world language, which may include: demonstrated proficiency in the language, GPA, long-term commitment to the language, involvement in extracurricular activities related to the target language and culture.
- Demonstrated leadership and community involvement
- Strong time management skills
How Do I Apply?
High School Seniors: The priority application deadline for freshmen entering the Chinese Flagship Program is April 1 of your senior year in high school. Once you are accepted to URI, apply online. The application for high school seniors will be live on this webpage in January and due April 1.
Application: The application requires a personal statement and three letters of recommendation, one of which must come from a Chinese or other language teacher.
After reviewing applications, we will schedule telephone interviews in mid-December for current URI students and in mid-April for high school seniors. The interviews are partially in Chinese for students who have studied Chinese. The committee looks for students who demonstrate a commitment to languages, a strong desire to incorporate Chinese into their long-term professional goals, and are Honors-eligible.