The University of Rhode Island Club Sports Program is a competitive recreational sports program for University students, designed to meet athletic needs not met by existing intramural and intercollegiate programs. The basic philosophy and key to the success of the program is the emphasis placed on participation, competition and good sportsmanship. The Club Sports program values honesty, integrity and respect while giving athletes a chance to gain valuable skills through administration, competition and leadership.
The Club Sports Program count heavily on student initiative, organization and financing to make the program effective. The Club Sports office considers its primary role in this area to be advisory in nature so as to preserve student initiative and leadership.
The purpose of the Club Sports Program is to:
- Offer a sporting and competitive activity for any interested student, who has the desire to participate, and develop skills in specific sports.
- Provide an opportunity for extramural competition.
- Foster the development and growth of individuals through satisfying competitive club sport experiences.
- To secure the use of facilities and to provide, if possible, equipment and instruction necessary for orientation and learning skill development.
- To serve as a guiding force to perpetuate existing clubs.
- To provide a basis for fellowship among students, around common interests.