Commencement at the University of Rhode Island takes place over the weekend with several events. In addition to the University-wide event on Sunday, May 17, these events include official Commencement exercises for graduate students on Saturday, May 16 and for each of the University’s eight undergraduate degree-granting colleges on Sunday, May 17. In addition, the Academic Awards Ceremony is held to honor our highest-achieving students, a legacy event and receptions.
Friday, May 15, 2014
- 1 p.m. ROTC Commissioning, Edwards Hall, Kingston Campus
- 3:30 p.m. Graduate School of Oceanography, Commencement Ceremony, Narragansett Bay Campus
- 5 p.m. 50th Class Welcome Reception, Alumni Center, Kingston Campus
- 6 p.m. College of Continuing Education Awards Ceremony, Providence Campus
Saturday, May 16, 2014
- 9 a.m.,Physical Therapy Pinning Ceremony, Swan Hall
- 10:30 a.m. Hooding Ceremony, Human Development & Family Studies, Memorial Union Ballroom
- 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. Legacy Family Brunch, Alumni Center, Kingston Campus, to recognize families who are welcoming their new generation of URI graduates.
- 12:15 p.m. Graduate Candidates assemble in academic attire for the Graduate Ceremony, Thomas M. Ryan Center, Kingston Campus
- 1 p.m. Graduate Exercises begin. The ceremony will be streamed on URI Live! Thomas M. Ryan Center, Kingston Campus
- 3 p.m. President’s Reception, To honor all graduating students and their families, Hope Commons.
- 3.30 p.m. Academic Awards Ceremony, The presentation of University Academic Excellence Awards, Edwards Hall, followed by light refreshments at the University Club.
Sunday, May 17, 2014
- 9 a.m. Undergraduate College Ceremonies for colleges of Continuing Education, Engineering, Human Science and Services, and Nursing. It is during this ceremony that each undergraduate will be called to the stage to receive their diploma cover. The tickets provided to each graduating senior in April are required for guests, including children two years of age and older, to attend these ceremonies.
12 p.m., Bachelor’s degree candidates assemble
12:20 p.m., Bagpipe and 50th Class Reunion Step Off
12:30 p.m., Bell Toll – Undergraduate march begins
- 12.30 p.m. University-wide Commencement exercises begin. Ceremony lasts approximately 90 minutes. No individual undergraduate degrees are presented during this ceremony on the Quadrangle. The ceremony will be streamed on URI Live!
- Est. 2-3 p.m. Undergraduate College Ceremonies for Arts and Sciences, Business, Environment and Life Sciences, and Pharmacy. These ceremonies will be held immediately after the University-wide ceremony, and depending upon their location, are estimated to start between 2-3 p.m. It is during this ceremony that each undergraduate will be called to the stage to receive their diploma cover. The tickets provided to each graduating senior in April are required for guests, including children two years of age and older, to attend these ceremonies.
Special Note to Students, Parents & Guests: It is at the individual college ceremonies where families and friends are able to see the important moment – when their student crosses the stage to receive their degree. For safety and due to building capacities, the tickets provided to each graduating senior in April are required for guests, including children two years of age and older, to attend these ceremonies.