The University of Rhode Island’s Commencement is one of the biggest events held in the Ocean State each year. Anticipated attendance is about 15,000 to 20,000 undergraduate and graduate students with families and friends, University and state officials, faculty, staff, security and volunteers gathered for the celebrations.
Allow extra time for travel to and from campus. Plan your travel to minimize the number of cars on campus and review best strategies for parking and on-campus transportation.
The main campus of the University of Rhode Island is located in Kingston, Rhode Island, 30 miles south of Providence and 80 miles from Boston.
Directions to Ceremony Parking
From points north:
Take I-95 South to Exit 9 (Route 4 South) in RHODE ISLAND, follow Route 4 to Route 1 South. Stay on Route 1 until the intersection of Route 138 West. Turn right onto Route 138 West and then turn right onto Old North Road. Parking is available at three locations:
- Briar Lane: From Old North Road, turn left onto Briar Lane. The entrance to the parking lot is on the right.
- Fine Arts Center: From Old North Road, turn left onto Bills Road. The entrance to the parking lot is on the right.
- Flagg Road and Plains Road: From Old North Road, turn left onto Flagg Road. Proceed down the bottom of the hill. The entrance to the Flagg Road lot is on the right. For the Plains Road lot continue straight and the entrance is on the left side.
From points south:
Take I-95 North to Exit 3A (Route 138 East). Continue east on Route 138 to the University. Parking is available at the following locations:
- Briar Lane: From Old North Road, turn left onto Briar Lane. Entrance to parking lot is on the right.
- Fine Arts Center: From Old North Road, turn left onto Bills Road. Entrance to parking lot is on the right.
- Flagg Road and Plains Road: From Route 138 turn left onto Plains Road. Entrance to the Plains Road lot is on the right side. For the Flagg Road lot, continue through the intersection. The entrance to the lot is on the left side.
If coming from Newport, RI, take Route 138 West over the Newport and Jamestown bridges to Route 1. Take Route 1 South to Route 138 West. Follow Route 138 West to the University.
Directions to the Ryan Center ceremonies
From points north
Take I-95 South to Exit 9, Route 4 South, to Exit 5B, Route 102, towards Exeter. Turn left onto South County Trail (Route 2), and follow for approximately seven miles, then turn left onto Route 138. Follow Route 138 approximately 1.5 miles to the Route 110 intersection (Plains Road). Then turn left and follow parking signs to the Ryan Center.
From points south
Take I-95 North to Exit 3A, Route 138 East. Follow Route 138 to the traffic light at the Route 110 intersection (Plains Road). Turn left and follow parking signs to the Ryan Center.
For more detailed directions, visit the University’s maps and directions page.
Other Travel Options:
- Train: Amtrak 800.872.7245. The Kingston railroad station is less than a mile from URI.
- Plane: T.F. Green International Airport, about 20 miles from URI, bus transportation and rental cars available.
Getting Around Campus
During Commencement Weekend on campus transportation will be provided via RIPTA shuttles, wheelchair- accessible vans, Rhody Van shuttles and golf carts to shuttle guests to and from parking and Commencement sites.
Take a look at our Commencement Parking Map (TBA) and Commencement Shuttle Map (TBA). Parking maps specifically designed for each individual college are linked below. These maps provide ceremony locations, suggested parking lots and transportation routes. Many of the regular routes that students, faculty and staff are familiar with will be altered or closed in order to manage the large volume of traffic.
Wear comfortable walking shoes, as parking lots and individual events may be located up to a mile apart. Many campus paths lead uphill; some are unpaved. Commencement Rhody Van shuttles operate every 8-to-15 minutes. For transportation from parking lots to ceremonies, walk to the nearest shuttle stop. There is no fare for use of the shuttles and they will run until all guests have returned to their vehicles.
Signs will be clearly posted for drivers coming onto campus and/or leaving. Parking locations and designations are subject to change. Check back here often for the most up-to-date information.