The Confucius Institute at URI

Harmony with differences. —Confucius

2015 “Confucius Institute Scholarship” Program

For the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitating international promotion of Chinese language and dissemination of Chinese culture, as well as cultivating qualified Chinese-language teachers and excellent Chinese-language learners, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban launches a “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to sponsor foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers to study Chinese in relevant universities of China.

Frequently Asked Questions: 

Scholarship Information and Preparation: 

1. What Confucius Institute Scholarships are available to me as an undergraduate?
  • Answer: The Confucius Institute has two types of scholarship open for students of Chinese for study abroad: The Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students (fall 2015-spring 2016) for year-long study in China, and the Scholarship for One-Semester Students (either fall 2015, or spring 2016) for semester-long study in China.
  1. Do I need to be an American citizen to apply for this program?
  • Answer: No, you can hold citizenship in any country outside of China, however Chinese citizens are not eligible.
  1. Do I need to be a Chinese major in order to apply for this program?
  • Answer: No, but the courses you take in China will be related to Chinese language and culture.
  1. What topics will I study in this program?
  • Answer: Topics available for study include Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, and Chinese Philosophy.
  1. What is my Chinese level expected to be for this program? How many years of Chinese  study are recommended before applying?
  • Answer: How long you’ve learned Chinese is not an important factor of this scholarship. Your Chinese level will be determined by your scores on the HSK and HSKK exams.

(For Further Information about HSK and HSKK Test, please refer to HSK and HSKK Test information)

Scholarship Money and Program Logistics 

1. What areas does the scholarship provide for?
  • Answer: The scholarship pays for registration fees, tuition, fees for learning materials, on-campus accommodation fees, and provides a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly allowance, outpatient medical services and comprehensive insurance for foreign students.
  1. How much are the monthly allowance and resettlement subsidy?
  • Answer: The monthly allowance is 1,400 Yuan per month, and the one-off resettlement subsidy is 1,000 Yuan for students studying one semester and 1,500 Yuan for students studying for one academic year. The given amounts are determined based on general living standard for Chinese college students.
  1. How will I receive my monthly allowance?
  • Answer: Your monthly allowance will be transferred to your bank account.  You can also be paid in cash.
  1. Can I use my allowance or resettlement subsidy however I want, or do I have to record my purchases?
  • Answer: The allowance is used to support your life in China. It is your freedom to decide the actual use and no receipts or records are needed for your purchases.
  1. What will my living situation be while in China? Can I choose to live off campus? If living on campus, will I be living with native Chinese students?
  • Answer: It varies depending on each university. Some have students living in a separate dorm for foreign students only, but for others the situation will be different. Go to the Confucius Institute website ( http://cis.chinese.cn ) and look through the list of universities to find out what each offers in terms of living conditions. You are allowed to live off campus. The one-off resettlement fee mentioned earlier is provided just for this reason. Other off campus costs are not provided by the scholarship. The procedure of living off campus is depending on individual schools.
  1. Where can I receive medical treatment? Will my medical insurance for foreign exchange students have the same coverage as my American insurance? In the event of an emergency or serious medical condition, can I choose to return to the United States for treatment? Will I be able to come back to China afterwards?
  • Answer: Most universities have on-campus clinics, similar to American universities, where basic treatment is provided. For anything that is more serious that cannot be handled by on-campus clinic, there are off-campus hospitals available. The campus clinic can provide guidance to foreign students on fulfilling their medical needs, since not all the off-campus hospitals are eligible to treat foreign patients. The medical coverage is provided by the scholarship as mentioned in the previous section. You can also consult your insurance provider in the United States about using your insurance overseas. Depending on the service provider, medical documents and a reimbursement process might be necessary. You are allowed to go back to United States for medical treatment. Depending on the time period of your absence, your study in China could be terminated.

Application Procedures and Documents 

1. Where do I go to fill out the application?
  • Answer: In order to access the application, visit the Confucius Institute website ( http://cis.chinese.cn ), set up an account, and complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online.
  1. What documents or information will I have to have prepared for the application?
  • Answer: You will be asked for the following:
    1. A photocopy of your passport photo page
    2. A photocopy of you HSK and HSKK score reports
    3. Notarized highest education diplomas obtained (scheduled graduation proof or official proof of study)
    4. Reference Letters (Only for Master’s Degree)
    5. If you are a winner of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and Foreign High School Students, then you should submit a copy of your scholarship certificate. If you are a winner of the preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions, then you should provide award proof and a reference letter provided by the organizers.
    6. Other materials required by host institutes
  1. Do I need recommendation letters as part of the application?
  • Answer: If you apply for the Master’s Degree Scholarship, you should submit reference letters provided by two professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English). For other scholarship applicants, reference letters are not required.
  1. How and when will I know if I got accepted?
  • Answer: Your local Confucius Institute Branch at your school will be responsible for informing you of the results of your application.
  1. What is the deadline for applying for the Scholarship?
  • April 15, 2015
Think Big We Do