The Confucius Institute at URI welcomes collaboration with schools and districts with a demonstrated demand for Chinese language and culture programs within the local community. Currently the Confucius Institute at URI has established Confucius Classrooms with:
- Charles E. Shea High School, Pawtucket School Department (Est. 2014)
- Matunuck Elementary School, South Kingstown Public Schools (Est. 2014)
Confucius Classrooms are sub-institutions of the Confucius Institutes established in countries other than China. Institutions applying to establish a Confucius Classroom are required to:
- Be an educational institution recognized and accredited by its country’s government;
- Have a demand from local citizens and students for learning Chinese language and culture in the locality of the institute;
- Have the capacity for providing the Confucius Classroom an appropriate working space, as well as personnel and support in funding.
Application materials prepared by the foreign applicant will include:
- An application letter signed by the principal or president (both Chinese and English copies);
- An application plan (both in Chinese and English), including: a. An introduction to the applicant institution; b. Draft programs for Chinese teaching and cultural promotion; c. A floor plan for the required instructional space, and lists of the relevant equipment and facilities available for the proposed Confucius Classroom; d. A projection of management structure; and e. A statement detailing the source, regulation, and management of funding for the proposed Confucius Classroom.
Subsequent to a series of administrative approval procedures and treaty signing, Confucius Classrooms can get support from the Confucius Institute Headquarters (CIHQ) for teachers as well as some funding.
For more information, please visit: http://english.hanban.org/node_7879.htm
If your school or district is interested in partnering with URI to establish a Confucius Classroom and to expand Chinese educational opportunities, please contact us by submitting a URI Confucius Classroom Statement of Intent Form.