Frequently Asked Questions for Renting Vehicles:
1. If I need to rent a vehicle when I travel for URI business, what do I do?
A Car Rental Justification Form found on the Controllers website must be attached to the TAR prior to travel. After the TAR is approved and you are making travel arrangements with PanAm Travel indicate that a rental car will be needed.
2. Does the University of Rhode Island have a contract with a car rental agency?
When booking travel and requesting a rental car the state travel agency will book the least cost rental agency for the area you are traveling in.
3. What type of vehicle are we allowed to rent?
URI Travelers are allowed to rent either a Compact Car (CC) or an Intermediate Car (IC). If a larger car is needed, this needs to be justified when you fill out the “Car Rental Justification Form”. Any upgrades without prior approval will be disallowed and reimbursement of the difference will be taken off of the TEV.
4. What insurances should I elect when renting from Enterprise and National? Are there any other coverage’s that I should be electing?
Our agreements with Enterprise and National rental agencies include full CDW. The Damage Waiver covers the full value of the vehicle in the event of any physical damage to the vehicle. The rate also includes liability coverage which pertains to third party claims. Additional insurance can be purchased through URI – Safety and Risk. This cost is a one time/per trip of $75 and is charged to your department through a credit statement. In order to be covered under the additional coverage, send a copy of your TAR and the Car Rental Justification Form to Cynthia Stanton at Cynthia_stanton@mail.uri.edu. Additional coverage’s will not be allowed unless justification has been indicated on your Car Rental Justification Form
5. Can URI Travelers use the URI Corporate Rates for the rental agencies while traveling on personal business?
No, the corporate rates are for business use only. If using the rental cars for personal use, the cost will be deducted from reimbursement on your TEV. Also, CDW is not covered while using the rental car for personal use. The insurance is only covered while using the rental car for URI business use.
6. There are 2 of us traveling together, should we both be on the rental car?
If you both will be driving the rental car for business use, then yes both drivers need to be on the rental car form. Enterprise and National do not charge for the additional driver. Make sure your TEV has the other driver’s name listed. There is an additional cost to “young drivers” between ages 21-24.
7. Should I attach a copy of the car rental receipt to my TEV even though it will be direct billed to the University?
A full itemized car rental receipt must be attached to your TEV so when the direct bill comes in we can match it to the receipt. Failure to provide a receipt may reduce your travel reimbursement.