Office of the Controller

75 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI 02881 – 401.874.2378 | 401.874.2589 (fax)

Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

FAQ – Auto Rental

Frequently Asked Questions for Renting Vehicles:

1.     If I need to rent a vehicle when I travel for URI business, what do I do?

A Car Rental Justification Form found on the Controllers website must be attached to the TAR prior to travel. After the TAR is approved and you are making travel arrangements with the State Travel Agent and indicate a rental car will be needed.

 2.     Does the University of Rhode Island have a contract with a car rental agency?

 When booking travel and requesting a rental car the state travel agency will book the least cost rental agency for the area you are traveling in. The State has a corporate account with Enterprise/National Rental Agency. See Controller’s Travel webpage for current rates.

 3.     What type of vehicle are we allowed to rent?

 URI Travelers are allowed to rent either a Compact Car (CC) or an Intermediate Car (IC).  If a larger car is needed, this needs to be justified when you fill out the “Car Rental Justification Form”.  Any upgrades without prior approval will be disallowed and reimbursement of the difference will be deducted off of the TEV.

 4.     What insurances should I elect when renting from Enterprise and National? Are there any other coverage’s that I should be electing?

Our agreements with Enterprise and National rental agencies include full CDW. The Damage Waiver covers the full value of the vehicle in the event of any physical damage to the vehicle. The rate also includes liability coverage which pertains to third party claims. Additional insurance can be purchased through URI Risk Management. There is a one time/per trip and is charged to your department through a credit statement. In order to be covered under the additional coverage. Auto Rental Insurance Form must be completed no later than 4 business days prior to the start of the rental period. Additional coverage’s will not be allowed unless justification has been indicated on your Car Rental Justification Form.

For more information on Insurance coverage for Rental Vehicles and Rental Vehicle Policy see URI Risk Management.

5.     Can URI Travelers use the URI Corporate Rates for the rental agencies while traveling on personal business?

No, the corporate rates are for business use only. If using the rental cars for personal use, the cost will be deducted from reimbursement on your TEV. Also, CDW is not covered while using the rental car for personal use. The insurance is only covered while using the rental car for URI business use.

 6.     There are 2 of us traveling together, should we both be on the rental car?

If you both will be driving the rental car for business use, then yes both drivers need to be on the rental car form.  Enterprise/National do not charge for the additional driver.  Make sure your TEV has the other driver’s name listed. There is an additional cost to “young drivers” between ages 21-24.

 7.     Should I attach a copy of the car rental receipt to my TEV even though it will be direct billed to the University?

A full itemized car rental receipt must be attached to your TEV so when the direct bill comes in we can match it to the receipt. Failure to provide a receipt may reduce your travel reimbursement.

Search Controller’s Website

Copyright © 2016 University of Rhode Island.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top