Christopher Baxter, P.E.
- Civil and Environmental Engineering and Ocean Engineering
- Offices: 111 Sheets Building, 301 Bliss Hall
- Phone: 401.874.6575
- Email: email@example.com
- Mailing Address: 203 Bliss Hall
1 Lippitt Rd
Kingston, RI 02881
110 Sheets Building
5 Receiving Rd
Narragansett, RI 02882
Dr. Baxter’s research is in geotechnical engineering with focus on:
- Experimental Geomechanics
- Stability of Submarine Slopes
- Liquefaction of Silts and Calcareous Soils
- Shear Wave Velocity of Soils
- Ph.D. 1999, Virginia Tech
- M.S. 1994, Purdue University
- B.S. 1990, Tufts University
Refereed Journal Publications
- Guadalupe, Y., Baxter, C.D.P., Sharma, M.S.R. (2013). Measuring Shear Wave Velocity in the Laboratory to Link Small- and Large-Strain Behavior of Soils, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2335, 79–88. DOI:10.3141/2335-09
- Bradshaw, A.S., Morales-Velez, A.C., Baxter, C.D.P. (2012). Evaluation of Existing CPT Correlations in Non-Plastic Silt, Geotechnical Engineering Journal of the SEAGS & AGSSEA, 43(4), 10 pgs.
- Hensel, J., Sharma, M.S.R., Baxter, C.D.P., Hu, S.-L.J. (2012). Development of a Technology Type Factor for Jacket Structures for Offshore Wind Turbines in Rhode Island, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 4, 063120.
- Sharma, M.S.R., Baxter, C.D.P., Moran, K., Vaziri, H., Narayanasamy, R. (2011). Strength of weakly cemented sands from drained multistage triaxial tests, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 137(12), 1202-1210.
- Sharma, M.S., Baxter, C.D.P., and Jander, M. (2011). Relationship Between Shear Wave Velocity and Stresses at Failure for Weakly Cemented Sands during Drained Triaxial Compression, Soils and Foundations, 51(4), 761-771.
- Sharma, M.S.R., Baxter, C.D.P., Hoffmann, W., Moran, K., Vaziri, H. (2011). Characterization of Weakly Cemented Sands using Nonlinear Failure Envelopes, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science, 48, 146-151.
- Baxter, C.D.P., Sharma, M.S.R., Moran, K., Vaziri, H., Narayanasamy, R. (2011). Use of Ā=0 as a Failure Criterion for Weakly Cemented Soils, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 137(2), 161-170.
- Sharma, R., O’Regan, M., Baxter, C., Moran, K., Vaziri, H., and Narayanasamy, R. (2010). Empirical Relationship Between Strength and Geophysical Properties for Weakly Cemented Formations, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 72, 134-142.
- O’Regan, M., Moran, K., Baxter, C.D.P., Cartwright, J., Vogt, C., Kölling, M. (2010). Towards Ground Truthing Exploration in the Central Arctic Ocean: A Cenozoic Compaction History from the Lomonosov Ridge, Basin Research, 22(2), pp. 215-235.
- Grilli, S.J., Taylor, O.-D., Baxter, C.D.P., and Maretzki, S. (2009). Probabilistic Approach for Determining Submarine Landslide Tsunami Hazard along the Upper East Coast of the United States, Marine Geology, 264, 74-97.
- Baxter, C.D.P., Bradshaw, A.S., Green, R.A., and Wang J. (2008). A New Correlation Between Cyclic Resistance and Shear Wave Velocity for Silts, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 134(1), pp. 37-46.
- Bradshaw, A.S., Green, R.A., and Baxter, C.D.P. (2007). A Rational Approach for Evaluating Seismic Demand and Resistance at a Silt Site in Rhode Island, Boston Society of Civil Engineers’ Civil Engineering Practice Journal, 22(1), pp. 5-18.
- Bradshaw, A.S. and Baxter, C.D.P (2007). Sample Preparation of Silts for Liquefaction Testing, ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal,30(4), pp. 324-332.
- Wang, J., Moran, K., and Baxter, C.D.P. (2006). Correlation between the Shear Wave Velocity and the Liquefaction Resistance of Offshore Saturated Sands and Silts, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 132(12), pp. 1574-1580.
- Bradshaw, A.S., Baxter, C.D.P., Tsiatas, G., Marinucci, A., Ressler, J. and Morgan, R. (2006). A Simple Dynamic Model for Fender Pile Analysis and Design, ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, 132(5), pp. 419-422.
- Baxter, C.D.P. and Mitchell, J.K. (2004). An Experimental Study on the Aging of Sands, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 130 (10), pp. 1051-1062.
- Silva, A.J., Baxter, C.D.P., LaRosa, P.T., and Bryant, W.R. (2004). Investigation of Mass Wasting on the Continental Slope and Rise,Marine Geology, 203 (3-4), 355-366.
- Fox, P. J. and Baxter, C. D. P. (1997). “Consolidation Properties of Soft Soils from the Hydraulic Consolidation Test,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 123(8), pp. 770-776.
Refereed Conference Publications
- Yang, S.L., Kvalstad, T. and Baxter, C.D.P. (2015). Laboratory studies on effect of gas bubbles on clay, XVI European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 12 pgs. (in review).
- Sharma, M.S.R. and Baxter, C.D.P. (2014). Characterization of weakly cemented sands from geophysical logs, GeoCongress 2014.
- Hashash, Y.M.A., Nikolaou, S., Sukumaran, B., Sacks, A., Burlingame, M., Baxter, C.D.P., Bradshaw, A.S., Wooten, L., Lacy, H., Moss, C., Daraio, J., O’Rourke, T.D. (2014). Selected Effects of the 2012 Hurricane Sandy Along the US East Coast – A Geotechnical Perspective, GeoCongress 2014.
- Giard, J.L., Potty, G.P., Miller, J.H., and Baxter, C.D.P. (2013). “Validation of an Inversion Scheme for Shear Wave Speed Using Scholte Wave Dispersion,” Proceedings of Oceans 13, MTS/IEEE, 9 pgs.
- Potty, G.R., Greene, J., Miller, J.H., and Baxter, C.D.P. (2012). “From Geoacoustics to Geotechnics: Extracting Soil Parameters Using Acoustic Methods,” Proceedings of the Indian Geotechnical Conference.
- Bradshaw, A.S., Haffke, S., and Baxter, C.D.P. (2012). “Load Transfer Curves from a Large-Diameter Pipe Pile in Silty Soil,” Full-Scale Testing and Foundation Design: Honoring Bengt H. Fellenius, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 227, pp 590-601.
- Taylor, O.-D. S., Baxter, C.D.P., Bradshaw, A.S., and Morales, A.C. (2012). “New Density Normalization Approach for Evaluation of the Cyclic Resistance of Silts,” GeoCongress 2012, ASCE, 11 pgs.
- Baxter, C.D.P. and Sharma, M.S.R. (2012). “Shear Wave Velocity of Weakly Cemented Silty Sand During Drained and Undrained Triaxial Compression,” GeoCongress 2012, ASCE, 12 pgs.
- Baxter, C.D.P., Sharma, M.S.R., Seher, N., and Jander, M. (2010). Evaluation of Liquefaction Resistance of Non-Plastic Silt from Mini-Cone Calibration Chamber Tests, CPT-10, 2nd International Symposium on Cone Testing, 8 pps.
- Baxter, C.D.P., Bradshaw, A.S., Ochoa-Lavergne, M., and Hankour, R. (2010). DSS Test Results Using Wire-Reinforced Membranes and Stacked Rings, GeoFlorida 2010, ASCE, 8 pps.
- El Bettah, M., S.T. Grilli, C.D.P. Baxter, K. Bollinger, M. Krafczyk and C. Janssen (2008). A microfluidics study of the triggering of underwater landslides by earthquakes. In Proc. 18th Offshore and Polar Engng. Conf. (ISOPE08, Vancouver, Canada, July 2008), 8 pps.
- Green, R.A., Hryciw, R.D., Saftner, D.A., Baxter, C.D.P., and Jirathanathaworn, T. (2008). Sand Aging Field Study, Proceedings of the 4th Decennial Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics Conference, GEESD IV, ASCE.
- Taylor, O.S. Bradshaw, A.S. Baxter, C.D.P., Grilli, S.T. (2008). The Effects of Basal Resistance and Hydroplaning on the Initial Kinematics of Seismically Induced Tsunamigenic Landslides, Proceedings of GeoCongress 2008: Geosustainability and Geohazard Mitigation (GSP 178), pp. 522-529.
- Bradshaw, A.S. Baxter, C.D.P. Taylor, O., and Grilli, S.T. (2007). Role of Basal Resistance on the Initial Acceleration of Tsunamigenic Landslides, 3rd International Conference on Submarine Mass Movements and Their Consequences, Santorini, Italy, 387-394.
- Maretzki, S., Grilli, S., and Baxter, (2007). Probabilistic SMF Tsunami Hazard Assessment for the upper East Coast of the United States, 3rd International Conference on Submarine Mass Movements and Their Consequences, Santorini, Italy, pp. 377-385.
- Bradshaw, A.S., Miller, H., and Baxter, C.D.P. (2007). Monitoring Ground Movements of a Braced Cut in Providence Silt, 7thInternational Symposium on Field Measurements in Geomechanics, Boston.
- Bradshaw, A.S., Baxter, C.D.P., and Green, R.A. (2007). A Site-Specific Comparison of Simplified Procedures for Evaluating Cyclic Resistance of Non-Plastic Silt, GeoDenver 2007, Geotechnical Special Publication 160, ASCE.
- Bradshaw, A., Baxter, C.D.P., and Osborn, P. (2004). Lessons Learned from Pile Driving on the Central Artery/ Tunnel Project,Advances in Deep Foundations, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 132, ASCE.
- Baxter, C.D.P., King, J.K., Silva, A.J., Page, M., and Calabretta, V.V. (2004). Site Characterization of Dredged Sediments and Evaluation of Beneficial Uses, Recycled Materials in Geotechnics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 127, ASCE, pp. 150-161.
- Baxter, C.D.P, King, J.W., Silva, A.J., and Bryant, W.R. (2003). Investigation of the Age of Submarine Slope Failures in the Gulf of Mexico, Proceedings of the International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers Conference, June, Honolulu.
- Mitchell, J. K., Baxter, C. D. P., and Munson, T. C. (1995). “Performance of Improved Ground During Earthquakes,” Soil Improvement for Earthquake Hazard Mitigation, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 49, ASCE, pp. 1-36.
- Baxter, C. D. P., Fox, P. J., and Leonards, G. A. (1995). “Gradient Effects on Measured Hydraulic Conductivity,” Proceedings ofGeoenvironment 2000, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 46, ASCE, pp. 746-757.