- Geosciences / Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Offices: 301 Bliss Hall, 315 Woodward Hall
- Phone: 401.874.7053
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address:
203 Bliss Hall
1 Lippitt Rd
Kingston, RI 02881
9 E. Alumni Ave
Kingston, RI 01881
Professor Boving is a Hydrogeologist and his work focuses on (1) innovative remediation technologies for soil and groundwater, (2) stormwater runoff quality and treatment, and (3) water quality and supply solutions for communities in developing countries. He holds a joint appointment to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Geosciences. He received his PhD in Hydrology and Water Resources Management from the University of Arizona, Tucson. He earned his master’s degree (“Diploma”) in Geology from the University of Tübingen, Germany. Boving worked for several years as an Environmental Hydrogeologist for an international consulting company in Stuttgart, Germany. Boving has supervised a number of field projects involving the installation of riverbank filtration (RBF) wells, interpretation aquifer test data, and excavation of contaminated soil and underground storage tanks. Boving served as an expert witness in legal cases concerning surface and groundwater contamination.
- Environmental Hydrogeology
- Fate and Transport of Organic and Inorganic Contaminants
- Innovative Remediation Technologies
- Stormwater Treatment and Bank Filtration Technology
- International Water Resources Development
- Advanced Mixed Oxidation and Inclusion Technology (2010). US EPA – SABIR Phase I. Co-PI with EnChem Engineering ($70,000).
- Development of Quantitative Tools to Determine the Expected Performance of Unit Processes in Wastewater Soil Treatment Units (2008-2009). The Water Environment Research Foundation (WERF), Co-PI ($210,000)
- Clean Water by Riverbank Filtration – A Demonstration of a Novel Site Selection and Implementation Strategy in Southern India (2007-2009) The World Bank – Developing Marketplace Program, PI ($190,000) [Google Earth Coverage] Request Final Report here
- Evaluation of Riverbank Filtration for Protection of Jordanian Surface and Ground Water Resources. (2005-2010) NATO Program for Security through Science, PI (EURO 281,000).
- Porous Pavement and Water Quality: Investigation of a Newly Constructed Parking Lot and its Potential Impact on Subsurface Water, (2003-2005) RI Transportation Ctr. ($122,000)
- Cyclodextrin Enhanced In-situ Removal of Organic Contaminants from Ground-water at Department of Defense Sites. (2001-2004), DoD – ESTCP program ($864,000)
- Facilitated transport enabled in situ chemical oxidation of 1,4-dioxane contaminated groundwater SERDP (2013-2017; $1.2 Million) Co-PI with PNNL, UofA, EnChem
- Chemical Oxidation and inclusion technology for expedited soil and groundwater remediation. AFCEE (2011-13; $670,000), Co-PI with EnChem.
- Boving, T.B., 2014: Forensic Analysis of MTBE Contamination Using Basic Hydrogeologic Concepts. J Forensic Sci, July 2014, Vol. 59, No. 4, DOI: 10.1111/1556-4029.12510
- Zyy, Y., Wang, Y.Q., Boving, T.B., 2014. Assessing Impact of Urban Impervious Surface on Watershed Hydrology Using Simulation and Spatial Regression. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, Special Issue. GeoJournal 9:155–166. DOI 10.1007/s10708-013-9506-x
- Morales, I. Atoyan, J.A., Amador, J.A., Boving, T.B., 2014. Transport of Pathogen Surrogates in Soil Treatment Units: Numerical Modeling. Water. 6, 818-838; DOI: 10.3390/w6040818.
- Boving, T.B., Choudri, B.S., Cady+, P., Davis, A., Patil, K., Reddy, V., 2014. Hydraulics and Hydrogeochemical Characteristics of a Riverbank Filtration Site in Rural India. Water Environment Research; 86(7):636-648. DOI: 10.2175/106143013X13596524516428.
- Kasaraneni, V., K., Schifman+, L.A., Boving, T.B., Oyanedel-Craver, V., 2014. Enhancement of Surface Runoff Quality Using Nano-Modified Sorbents. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., DOI: 10.1021/sc500107q; Publication Date (Web): June 9, 2014.
- Kasaraneni V.K., Khom S.E., Eberle+, D., Boving T.B., Oyanedel-Craver V. 2013: Enhanced Containment of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) through Organic Modification of Soils. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy; DOI 10.1002/ep.11749
- Cady+ P., Boving T.B., Choudri B.S., Cording A., Patil K., Reddy V. 2013 Attenuation of bacteria at a riverbank filtration site in rural India. Water Environment Research; 85 (11):2164-74.
- Boving, T.B., Choudri, B.S., Cady+, P., Davis, A., Patil, K., Reddy, V., 2012: Acceptance of a Riverbank Filtration System in Rural India. Special Issue on Bank Filtration. J. Indian Water Works Association, Dec. 12, 33-41.
- Boving, T., Cady+, P., Musher, D., Davis, T., Damon, C., 2012. Rhode Island Landfill Solar Resources Assessment and Screening Analysis. In: Rhode Island Renewable Energy Siting Partnership (RESP). Technical Report. Vol. II, 505-536.
- Amador, J.A., Atoyan, J.A., Boving T., 2012. Fate of Microbial Pathogen Surrogates in Soil Treatment Units: The Role of Soil Texture, Depth and Biomat Formation. Water, 4; doi:10.3390/w40x000x.
- Neary+, K., Boving, T.B., 2011: The Fate of the Aqueous Phase Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Fraction in a Detention Pond System. Environmental Pollution, 159, 2882-2890..
- Boving, T.B., and Rowell, R., 2010: Water Filtration using Biomaterials. In: Sustainable Development in the Forest Products Industry. (Editor: R. Rowell). Chapter 9, 213-252. UFP Editions, Lisbon, Portugal. ISBN:978-989-643-052-8
- McCray, J., M. Geza, K. Lowe, T. Boving, D. Radcliffe, M. Tucholke, A. Wunsch, S. Roberts, J. Amador, J. Atoyan, J. Drewes, D. Kalen, G. Loomis. 2010. Quantitative Tools to Determine the Expected Performance of Wastewater Soil Treatment Units: Guidance Manual. International Water Association Publishing, ISBN: 978-1-84339-395-5/1-84339-395-6.
- McCray, J., M. Geza, K. Lowe, T. Boving, D. Radcliffe, M. Tucholke, A. Wunsch, S. Roberts, J. Amador, J. Atoyan, J. Drewes, D. Kalen, G. Loomis. 2010. Quantitative Tools to Determine the Expected Performance of Wastewater Soil Treatment Units: Visual – Graphic Tools. International Water Association Publishing, ISBN: 978-1-84339-536-2/1-84339-536-3.
- McCray, J., M. Geza, K. Lowe, T. Boving, D. Radcliffe, M. Tucholke, A. Wunsch, S. Roberts, J. Amador, J. Atoyan, J. Drewes, D. Kalen, G. Loomis. 2010. Quantitative Tools to Determine the Expected Performance of Wastewater Soil Treatment Units: Toolkit User’s Guide. International Water Association Publishing, ISBN: 978-1-84339-537-9/1-84339-537-1.
- Boving, T.B., Cady+, P., Choudri, B.S., Hawaldar, K., Blanford, W., 2010: Improving Water Quality by Riverbank Filtration – Experiences in India and Jordan (Full Paper). In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Perspective on Current and Future State of Water Resources and the Environment. American Society of Chemical Engineers (ASCE) / Association of environmental and water resources engineers and scientistsConference (EWRI), Chennai, India.
- Amador, J. A., Atoyan, J. A., Boving, T., Kalen D., Loomis, G., 2009. Microorganisms. In Development of Quantitative Tools to Determine the Expected Performance of Unit processes in Wastewater Soil Treatment Units: Literature review, London, UK, IWA Publishing: 2-26 – 22-41.