Affirm. Engage. Do Justice.
The Office of Community Equity and Diversity strives to attain a diverse, inclusive, equitable and socially just University.
- Nurturing development from a holistic perspective
- Affirming multiple and intersecting identities
- Fostering cultural competence through transformative learning
- Advancing equity, inclusion and diversity in the global community
- Modeling honesty, integrity and social justice
During 2011- in an effort to “do more and do it better”- after a multi-year period of advocacy by the Equity Council – broadly representative of URI students, staff and faculty, endorsed by the Strategic Budget and Planning Council and approved by the Board of Governors for Higher Education -President Dooley committed to the creation of an institutional unit focusing on the advancement of community, equity and diversity at URI, to be led by a Chief Diversity Officer (CDO). In addition to the creation of the CDO seat, an Associate Vice President for Community, Equity and Diversity position, the President authorized a reassignment of several departments with a focus on diversity, to shift their reporting responsibility to the CDO. These departments include:
- The Gender and Sexuality Center
- The Multicultural Student Services Center (MSSC)
- The Office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Diversity (AAEOD)
- The Women’s Center
In addition to maximizing the effectiveness of these departments, the Chief Diversity Officer – who is also a member of the President’s executive team – is charged with influencing effective policy formation and collaborating with the various Presidential Commissions and divisional, college and departmental diversity committees, to ensure the accomplishment of strategic diversity goals integral to the overall success of the University.