James Krakue ’15

James KrakueA bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from URI has enabled James Krakue of East Providence, RI to follow in his father’s footsteps. He works as a consultant engineer for FM Global.

Education:
B.S. Electrical Engineering, URI, 2015
A.S. Engineering, CCRI, 2012

Q: Why did you select electrical engineering as a major?
A: I always had a passion for creating and improving a variety of objects. Since my father was an electrical engineer at a nearby power plant, I was exposed to electronics at a young age. Inspired by my father, I took a pre-engineering class in high school, which eventually lead me to pursue a major in electrical engineering. I knew this major would provide the tools that I needed to follow in my father’s footsteps and pursue my passion of creating and improving.

Q: What was your first job after you graduated from URI?
A: I did two internships at URI for FM Global’s corporate office in Johnston, RI. Upon graduation, the company hired me as a consultant engineer. My job is to help clients neutralize potential disasters to their specific business process, saving their property from damage and business from interruptions. I work hands-on with some of the world’s most influential organizations, helping them understand risk and protect their assets.

Q: How did your education at URI prepare you for your career?
A: My undergraduate studies provided a quality education in engineering-related fields, with a strong focus on electrical engineering. While at URI, I joined multiple societies and clubs to network with working professionals and students who had the same interests as I did. I was a member of the Institute Electrical and Electronics Engineers and served multiple years on the Executive Board of the National Society of Black Engineers.

Q: What are your career goals?
A: My plan is to pursue a Master’s in Business Administration from URI after working for a few more years. I hope to grow with my current company as well as manage a business of my own.

Q: What advice do you have for current or prospective engineering students at URI?
A: URI is an amazing place full of opportunity and resources to those who seek it.

LinkedIn logoLinkedIn Profile