Matthew Winter ’16

Matt WinterMatthew Winter graduated from URI with a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering in 2016. Upon graduation, the Tiverton, RI resident started working at SEA Corp. in Middletown, RI.

Education:
B.S. Computer Engineering, URI, 2016

Q: Why did you select computer engineering as a major?
A: Technology and the software and circuitry that make it all possible has always intrigued me.

Q: What does your current job entail?
A: I am a computer software engineer at SEA Corp. (Systems Engineering Associates Corporation). I mostly work with a group of people developing systems for U.S. Navy submarines. On my particular project we support a large Department of Defense (DoD) program, working as a team with other DoD contractors. Most of my experience has involved software integration for navigational and tactical systems. My responsibilities have ranged from modernizing code to designing and implementing upgrades in a system.

Q: How did your undergraduate studies help you get the job?
A: The ECBE program at URI is quite challenging. The depth of knowledge I gained allowed me to feel confident when speaking in interviews and provided relatable experience I could talk about. Some of the projects covered in the course work demonstrated various abilities such as, but not limited to, software, hardware, and networking. These are critical skills to have when working on large-scale systems that are expected to communicate quickly and efficiently with no room for failure.

Q: How has your education at URI helped you in your job?
A: When entering the working world, I found that I still needed to learn a lot. However, my studies gave me the confidence in my capabilities and experience with finding the resources required to understand different concepts. Even into the future, I anticipate having to learn and understand new things in this massive, changing world of technology. When I speak to others about working subject matter, I feel respected for what I do know and the newer ideas I can provide to my project’s team.

Q: What are your career goals?
A: I want to continue to improve and expand the functionality of systems and remain in the engineering role of designing and implementing such systems.

Q: What advice do you have for current or prospective engineering students at URI?
A: The engineering fields will continue to challenge you, even outside of school, but being able to apply the knowledge from school in a real world professional experience is incredibly fulfilling.

LinkedIn logoLinkedIn Profile