M.A. in Education
Candidates will be selected on the basis of three key areas:
Knowledge: All M.A. applicants must have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply to the URI Graduate School.
Teaching Experience: All applicants must have initial certification in early childhood, elementary, or secondary education, and some teaching experience to gain admission to the reading program.
Dispositions toward teaching and learning: Applicants must demonstrate positive dispositions toward continued learning, and toward teaching all students to read and write. Applicants demonstrate dispositions through their personal statement and letters of recommendation.
How to Apply
Complete an online application through the URI Graduate School website.
The following are required as part of the application:
- a copy of your RI teaching certificate (or certification from another state).
- a resume indicating your teaching experience
- a minimum of two letters of recommendation from personnel in a supervisory capacity qualified to comment specifically on your professional abilities and strengths (for example, principals, department chairs)
- a personal statement revealing your rationale for applying to the reading program and a focused goal for obtaining an advanced degree
- a formal interview with program faculty.
Applicants should read and be aware of the Core Beliefs Statement of the School of Education