M.A. in Education
Secondary Education Specialization
General Program Requirements
- 30 credits minimum
- Required Common Core of 6 credits (Foundations, Research)
- Two electives
- An academic specialization (18-24 credits)
- Each student must produce a major paper
- A written comprehensive exam near the end of the coursework is required for those students not completing a thesis.
The following Core courses are required:
Foundations (choose one)
- EDC 502: Foundations of Curriculum OR
EDC 503: Education in Contemporary Society (3 credits)
Research (choose one)
- EDC 529: Foundations of Educational Research OR
EDC 530: Qualitative Research and Evaluation (3 credits)
Required Specialization Courses
- EDC 402: Education of Special Needs Students (3 credits)
- EDC 574: Current Trends in Secondary Education (3 credits)
- 9 credits of education-related professional electives.
- 9 credits discipline electives (subject area)
Students must enroll in EDC 574 (Current Trends in Secondary Education) in order to produce a substantial paper involving significant independent study.