- Associate Professor
- Elementary Education
- Phone: 401.874.5976
- Email: email@example.com
- Social Studies teaching and learning
- Technology integration into classrooms (K-12)
- Effects of teacher professional development
- Ph.D., Language, Reading and Culture (Minor: Bilingual/Multicultural Education), University of Arizona, 1993
- B.A., Sociology (Minor: Teacher Education), University of California San Diego, 1987
Hicks, S. & Young, B. (2001). The InterNet Academy and beyond. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 63-73.
Valdez, A., Young, B. & Hicks, S. (2000). Preservice teachers’ stories: Content and context.Teacher Education Quarterly, 27(1), 39-58.
Trostle, S. & Hicks, S. (1998). The effects of storytelling versus story reading on comprehension and vocabulary knowledge of British primary school children. Reading Improvement, 35(3), 127-136.
Hicks, S. J. (1996). Promoting civic competence using children’s trade books: Ideas for preK-4 classrooms. Social Education, 60(4), 216.