Ph.D. in Education
The handbook contains important information about our curriculum, registration, program faculty, degree requirements, and financial aid. The information is being updated in Spring 2017 and a new version should be available shortly.
(Note: This is an example for completing the Final Program of Study)
CHAIN OF SIGNATURES (From top down)
- Major Professor
- Committee Member
- Committee Member
- Committee Member
- RIC Co-Director
- Dean of RIC FSEHD
- URI Co-Director
- Dean of URI Graduate School
Note: Every signature must be placed on the same electronic form that is sent from member to member for signatures. At each step the form should be printed to retain a record of the signature process.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR STUDENTS
- Open the online form (e.g., Final Program of Study) in Acrobat Reader 8.0 (or a later version) and fill out the appropriate information on the top of the page. You can simply type your name and the URI ID in the spaces provided. If needed, you can choose the “Highlight Fields” option at the top right-hand of the screen to see where to type.
- If you have selected courses in the specialization area, type the course number, title, and number of credits in the appropriate boxes. You also have the option of typing in any additional information needed to complete the form. (This includes the master’s work, degree title, and institution, transfer credits, and grades for courses already completed.)
- Type in the names of the Major Professor and Committee Members under the lines provided.
- Electronically sign the form (one already created using the additional handout directions OR following the prompts once you click on the signature space). Be sure to place your signature int he correct space on the form. By clicking the arrow by the student signature, a pop-up box should open instructing you to sign the form. This action is password protected.
- Save the form as [lastname_formname] (e.g., young_programofstudy.pdf) and send it as an email attachment to your Major Professor.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAJOR PROFESSORS/COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Open the file in Acrobat Reader.
- Electronically sign the form (already created using directions OR following the prompts once they click on the signature space. Be sure to place your signature int he correct space on the form. By clicking the arrow by the Major Professor’s/Committee Member’s signature, a pop-up box should open instructing you to sign the form. This action is password protected.
- Re-save the form with your signature, and email the form to the next member of the student’s doctoral committee.
- This process will continue for the rest of the committee. The last Committee Member will send the form to the RIC Co-Director as an email attachment.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROGRAM CO-DIRECTORS AND DEANS
- Open the file in Acrobat Reader 8.0 (or later) and sign the form following the same directions for the Major Professor (using one already created using the additional handout directions OR following the prompts once you click on the signature space).
- Re-save the form with your signature and email the form to the Dean at RIC’s FSEHD, who will complete the same steps and forward the form to the URI Co-Director. The URI Co-Director will electronically sign the form and submit it for signature to the URI Graduate Dean.
URI/RIC Ph.D. Forms
- How to create at digital signature
- Annual Status Report (Fillable PDF) – due each year by June 1
- Program of Study (Fillable PDF) – due by end of Year 1; revise as needed
- Final Program of Study Prior to Cohort 2009 (Fillable PDF)
- Naming of Dissertation Committee (Fillable PDF) – due by end of Year 2
- Changes in Dissertation Committee (Fillable PDF)
- Comprehensive Examinations (usually taken end of Year 3)
- Request to Schedule Written Comprehensive Examination (Fillable PDF)
- Rubric for Written Comprehensive Examination (PDF)
- Sole Authorship Signature Form (to accompany written comprehensive exam) (PDF)
- Results of Written Comprehensive Examination (Fillable PDF)
- Results of Oral Comprehensive Examination (Fillable PDF)
- Dissertation Proposal Approval (Fillable PDF)
- Nomination for Graduation (Fillable PDF)
- Set Up Sheet for Defense of Dissertation (Fillable PDF)
- Oral Examination in Defense of Dissertation (Fillable PDF)
Notes about Electronic Forms (Fillable PDFs):
Please note: These forms must be viewed in either Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. Signatures cannot be started when you open the form in a web browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc.). If you have your browser set to open PDFs you will need to right-click on the file and save the file.
If you have a copy of Adobe Acrobat, do not use Adobe Reader to sign these forms as it can create signature conflicts.