- Read about the University of Minnesota’s student led Joint Safety Team initiative and the success that they have had in improving the safety culture in their chemistry and chemical engineering departments.
University of Minnesota Joint Safety Team
- The American Chemical Society has published guidance for risk assessment in research laboratories.
ACS Identifying and Evaluating Hazards in Research Laboratories
- The hazardous waste pickup form has been updated. It now includes a section to request supplies.
Hazardous Waste Pickup Request Form
- The new telephone number to contact the EHS office is 874-7993.
- UCLA professor ordered to stand trial in fatal lab fire. See LA Times article that includes CAL/OSHA investigative report.
- Meet Jimmy! We have a new lab safety orientation training video. See our lab safety orientation page for more information.
- OSHA has adopted the Global Harmonization System (GHS). The Federal Register published the final rule on March 26, 2012. The effective date of the final rule is 60 days after the date of publication. We will be incorporating the new GHS requirements into our Annual Hazard Communication and Prudent Practices trainings. See the OSHA GHS website for more information http://www.osha.gov/dsg/hazcom/index.html
|EHS Safety Topic of the Month|
|September 2012||HPLC Safety|
|July 2012||Centrifuge Safety|
|June 2012||Electrical Safety|
|February 2012||Global Harmonization System|
|January 2012||Hazardous Materials Inventory|
|November 2011||Liquid Nitrogen|
|October 2011||Fume Hoods|
|September 2011||Safety Showers and Eye Washes|
|August 2011||Fire Safety (Water Reactive Chemicals)|