The undergraduate English major, designed to be both challenging and flexible, provides you with a solid foundation in literary history and theory, and the opportunity to pursue your individual interests.
Students in the English M.A. program may choose from one of three different paths of study:
- Non-Thesis Option
- Thesis Option
- M.A. in English and MLIS Cooperative Program
Students in the English Ph.D. program choose a concentration within a core curriculum. Concentrations include:
- American Literature and Culture
- British Literature and Culture
- Critical Theories
- Gender Studies
- Creative Writing (the only program in New England that offers a Ph.D. with a creative dissertation)
- Gender and Women’s Studies
Prospects for Graduates
Our graduates go on to careers in teaching, publishing, writing, film production, medicine, business, law, and various positions in academia. Many M.A.s have matriculated in top-rated Ph.D. programs, and Ph.D.s themselves have an excellent record of placement in tenure-track university positions.