B.A. in English
- Four writing contests are open to both undergraduate and graduate students, whether majors or non-majors.
See submission details.
Rumowicz Maritime Essay Contest
- The Rumowicz Maritime Essay Contest, sponsored by the Edmund S. and Nathalie Rumowicz Endowed Seminar and Lecture Series in Literature and the Sea program, is open to undergraduate students only.
See submission details.
The Department of English offers six undergraduate scholarships open to English majors and awarded annually at the Department Awards Day Ceremony each April. Contact the English Department Undergraduate Advisor for further information.
- Nancy Potter Scholarship Income from endowment provides funds for a scholarship that is awarded annually to a junior English major for excellence in English studies. Recipient is selected by the Department of English. The Nancy Potter Scholarship was established in 1988.
- Edna L. Steeves Scholarship Income from this endowment provides funds for a scholarship that is awarded annually to an English major with high academic achievement. Recipient is selected by the Department of English. The Edna L. Steeves Scholarship was established in November 1995.
- Rox-Ellene Greenlaw Memorial English Scholarship Income from this endowment provides funds for a scholarship that is awarded annually to a female English major who is in her third year and is a Rhode Island resident. The award is based on academic excellence and achievement, dedication to studies, personal integrity, willingness to assist others, and love of the literary arts. Recipient is selected by the Department English. The Rox-Ellene Greenlaw Memorial English Scholarship was established in December 1998.
- Dana Shugar Memorial Scholarship The Dana Shugar Memorial Scholarship Fund rotates between the English Department and the Women’s Studies Program. The scholarship is awarded to a female undergraduate student based on academic excellence and financial need. This scholarship was established in 2002 and is awarded by the Departments of English and Gender / Women’s Studies on alternate years.
- Gertrude Spencer Scholarship The Gertrude Spenser Scholarship is awarded annually to English Majors for demonstration of excellence in written command of the English language. This scholarship was established in 2005.
- M. Beverly Swan Endowment Income from this Endowment is used to support a female student majoring in English. Financial need and academic achievement are considered. This scholarship was established in 2005.