Graduate Courses

NOTE: All 500-level courses require graduate standing or permission of instructor. All courses except ENG 510/511 may be repeated once if emphasis changes.

ENG 501
Workshop in Creative Writing
(I or II, 3) Close supervision and discussion of creative writing, including poetry, nonfiction, short prose forms, scripts, and novels. (Lec. 3)

ENG 510 / ENG 511
Introduction to Professional Study
(I or II, 3) Orientation to the major discourses, critical framework, and databases constituting graduate research in language and literary studies, including computer-assisted research methodologies. Required (Lec. 3)

ENG 514
Studies in Critical Theories
(I or II, 3) Introduction to historical or contemporary studies in critical theory; e.g., modernity and postmodernity, aesthetics, politics, interpretative traditions, audiences. May explore semiotic, psychoanalytic, materialist, feminist, postcolonial, and cultural theories. Required (Lec. 3)

ENG 535
Old English
(I, 3) Introduction to the language of literature. (Lec. 3)

ENG 540
Studies in American Texts before 1815
(I or II, 3) Cultural texts and topics of the Western Hemisphere before 1815: literary and nonliterary writings and genres; exploration and captivity narrative; African transmissions; critical theory; culture, gender, race and class. (Lec. 3)

ENG 543
Studies in Nineteenth-Century American Texts
(I or II, 3) Literary and nonliterary cultural texts, genres, and topics of the Western Hemisphere. May include media; oral, industrial, and popular cultures; critical theory and the analysis of discourses; issues of class, gender, race. (Lec. 3)

ENG 545
Studies in American Texts after 1900
(I or II, 3) Modern, contemporary, and postmodern cultural texts, genres and topics of the Western Hemisphere; e.g., literary and nonliterary writings, performance modes, media, theory, and cultural studies of race, gender and class. (Lec. 3)

ENG 550
Studies in British Texts before 1700
(I or II, 3) Literary and nonliterary cultural texts and genres of the Medieval, Renaissance, and Restoration periods. May include oral and written forms; the roles of audiences, gender, class, and other social relations. (Lec. 3)

ENG 553
Studies in British Texts 1700-1832
(I or II, 3) Literary and nonliterary cultural texts and genres during the Restoration, Augustan, Enlightenment, and Romantic periods; e.g., drama, media, rhetoric, theory, and discourse analysis of gender, class, race, and other social relations. (Lec. 3)

ENG 555
Studies in Nineteenth-Century British Texts
(I or II, 3) Literary and nonliterary cultural texts and genres during the nineteenth century. May include drama and other performance modes; critical theory and the analysis of discourses; representations of class, gender, and race. (Lec. 3)

ENG 557
Studies in British Texts after 1900
(I or II, 3) Modern, contemporary, and postmodern cultural texts; e.g., literary and nonliterary writings, drama, colonial and European cultural relations, film, theory, and cultural studies of institutional life and other social relations. (Lec. 3)

ENG 560
Studies in European Texts
(I or II, 3) Introduction to the study of European texts in translation. May include different historical periods; literary and nonliterary writings; theory; film; rhetoric; and issues of culture, gender, race, class, and sexuality. (Lec. 3)

ENG 570
Studies in Postcolonial Texts
(I or II, 3) Investigation of similarities and differences between nonoccidental and occidental genres; traditions and practices of postcolonial oral, written, and visual cultural forms from Africa, Australia, New Zealand, the Americas, India, Ireland, and Scotland. (Lec. 3)

ENG 590
Selected Topics
(I or II, 3) Selected topics in American and British literature and topics of special interest not covered by traditional department offerings. (Lec. 3)

ENG 595
Non-Thesis Master’s Project
(I or II, 1-6) Number of credits to be determined each semester in consultation with the major professor or director of graduate studies. S/U credit only.

ENG 599
Thesis Master’s Project

NOTE: All 600-level (seminar) courses require graduate standing or permission of instructor. Courses include: specialized topics, intensive readings, occasional lectures, and frequent presentation of ongoing research by students. A substantial research project is required. All courses may be repeated once if emphasis changes.

ENG 601
Seminar in Creative Writing
(I or II, 3) Seminar for advanced students under supervision of a staff member arranged to suit individual project requirements of students. (Seminar)

ENG 605
Seminar in Genres
(I or II, 3) In-depth study in a single or several genres and/or subgenres, such as epic, drama, or horror film. (Seminar)

ENG 610
Seminar in Historical Periods
(I or II, 3) Selected topics of relevance for historical periods. Periods emphasized are Medieval, sixteenth- and seventeenth-century British, eighteenth- and nineteenth-century British, North American, and postcolonial. (Seminar)

ENG 615
Seminar in Authors
(I or II, 3) In-depth and critical study of selected works of one or two authors from any historical period, genre, or medium; theories and traditions of authorship; authorship and gender. (Seminar)

ENG 620
Seminar in Culture and Discourse
(I or II, 3) Contrasting theoretical conceptions of culture, discursive practices, hegemony, the public and private spheres, and related concerns; may cross any historical formation or period. (Seminar)

ENG 625
Seminar in Media
(I or II, 3) Critical and theoretical conceptions of one or more media across any historical formationor period. (Seminar)

ENG 630
Seminar in Canons
(I or II, 3) Critical and theoretical conceptions of canons and canonicity, including emerging or revisionist canons. (Seminar)

ENG 635
Seminar in Subjectivities
(I or II, 3) Critically investigates class, race, gender, sexuality, and/or other subject positions as they are constructed by literary or other media. Might emphasize reading and writing communities, form and ideology, or identity politics. (Seminar)

ENG 640
Seminar in Interdisciplinary Studies
(I or II, 3) Critically investigates the formation of disciplines and the implications of their intersections; e.g., theory, practice, and politics of literature and the visual arts, music, medicine, jurisprudence, ethnography, psychology, science, and economics. (Seminar)

ENG 650
Seminar in Critical Theory
(I or II, 3) In-depth study of one or several critical theories such as psychoanalytic, feminist, postcolonial, and cultural studies. (Seminar)

ENG 660
Seminar in Special Topics
(I or II, 3) Topics of special interest not covered by other offerings. (Seminar)

ENG 690
Independent Graduate Study
(I or II, 1-6) Number of credits is determined each semester in consultation with the major professor, director of graduate studies, and chairperson.

ENG 691 / 692
Independent Graduate Study
(I or II, 3 each) Advanced study of an approved topic under the supervision of a staff member. (Independent Study)

ENG 699
Doctoral Dissertation Research
(I and II) Number of credits is determined each semester in consultation with the major professor or program committee. (Independent Study) S/U credit only.