Using your free elective credits to participate in experiential learning is a great way to put classroom learning into practical experience. While engaged in the supportive environment of an internship you can test career goals, enhance professional skills, develop self-reliance, self-esteem, and responsibility. Furthermore, internships encourage networking with professionals and will provide increased marketability for employment after graduation.
Below are your options for earning experiential credits. Please meet with your academic advisor before making a final decision regarding which option is best for you.
ECN 445: Senior Research Seminar
- Final semester for majors in economics B.A. and B.S. applied programs
- Final written report
- Senior Research Seminar
- Collaborative group research under guidance of department member
- Topic jointly selected by members of group, subject to faculty approval
- 3 credits (Graded)
ITR302/304: Field Experience & Seminar
- 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher
- Minimum 60 credits prior to internship
- Available free elective credits
- Good academic and social standing
- Earn between 6 – 15 free elective credits
- ITR 302 (field experience) 3 – 12 credits (S/U Only)
- ITR 304 (seminar) 3 credits (Graded)
- Seminar offered online and in class (in class – spring only)
- Center for Career and Experiential Education
- Roosevelt Hall South Side
- Click here to submit an application
Explore Past Internship Opportunities
The following list is a SAMPLE of placements in which students have participated for experiential credits. This list is not exhaustive.
Rhode Island Internships
- Alteris Renewables, Inc.
- Commonwealth Engineering and Consulting
- DTP Construction Inc
- Embassy of the United States of America
- Lockheed Window Corp
- Navigant Credit Union
- O’Neill Consulting Group, LLC
- Providence Community Action Program
- Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation
- Rhode Island Emergency Management
- State of Rhode Island, Office of Economic Recovery
- The Corporate Marketplace, Inc.
- URI College of Engineering
- Winchester Investment
- Blue Fish Commodities
- Charles Vista
- Cheuvreux Credit Agricole Group
- Fact Set Research Systems
- First Connect Insurace Agency, INC
- Hanley & Associates, LLC
- Kaufman & Kaufman, P.C.
- Liquid Lighting
- Madison Square Garden
- Medical Health Plan of America
- Merrill Lynch & Co
- Principles Group, LLC
- Pyramis Global Advisors
- Robert K. Futterman and Assoc.
- Smith Barney-Waltham, MA
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- The Etter Group
- Unilever Consumer Services
Sources: Internship Placements from Fall 2010, Spring 2011, & Summer 2011, and Explore Internship Opportunities by Major Archives 2009-2011