center for career and experiential education

Roosevelt Hall, 90 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI 02881

– 401.874.2311

URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Tamar Hagopian

Tamar Hagopian using a laptop at her internship

Tamara at Tribeca Entertainment

• Hometown: Harrington Park (Bergen County), NJ
  • Major: Communications; Minor in Public Relations
  • Graduation Year: Spring 2013
  • Internship: Tribeca Film Festival

Just five weeks into her internship, Tamar Hagopian had a strong grasp on what working in the real-world is like… and she is loving it. Tamar heard about her internship with the Tribeca Film Festival from one of her aunts. With a passion for film and public relations, becoming an intern for the Tribeca Film Festival seemed like a natural fit for her. After Tamar researched the festival, she applied for a public relations internship and got the job.

“I love everything, other than the location and people being so amazing, I can do what I really want to do. It’s a real-life experience. I can see myself having this job after graduating.”

Aside from hands-on experience, Tamar has learned that as an intern, you need to speak up, not be afraid to ask questions, and “It doesn’t matter how fast you complete the work, but be willing to help out in every way that you can and be capable of the work.”

An internship is the first opportunity to experience work life. You have to take risks, even if you are unsure what you are signing up for.

“I chose this internship because it’s not only fun and in New York City, it’s full of celebrities. I have an interest in film and I want to be in public relations and custom publicity when I graduate. I already did beauty (PR) so I wanted to be in the entertainment field.”

And speaking of celebrities… Tamar has met actors such as James Franco and Robert De Niro. Tamar said De Niro works in the office one floor above hers. “People in the office call him Bob,” Tamar said.

Profile by Julie Dawson

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top