center for career and experiential education

Roosevelt Hall, 90 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI 02881

– 401.874.2311

URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Stephanie Geiger

Stephanie Geiger working with a flammable substance in the lab

Stephanie working in the explosives lab

• Hometown: Plainville, MA
  • Major: International Engineering Program (IEP) in Chemical Engineering and Spanish
  • Graduation Year: Spring 2015
  • Internship: URI’s Smith/Oxley Excitables (Explosives) Lab

Thanks to an on-campus internship, Stephanie Geiger, a International Engineering Program (IEP) student majoring in chemical engineering and spanish, had an explosive start to her summer, literally, when she worked at URI’s Smith and Oxley Excitables (explosives) Lab. The experiments Geiger performed in the lab with graduate students caught the attention of Popular Science magazine and were featured in an article and video on the publication’s website.

Geiger and the team of graduate students showed the magazine their experiments and work with bomb dogs, and what a typical day in the lab was like, including the use of software and making glass capsules of various explosives that are tested for heat-release, sensitivity, and reactivity of the explosives.

“I think the fact that I worked in an explosives lab gave me an advantage over my peers,” Geiger said. “Working in the lab allowed me to have hands-on work with chemicals, and experiments that I would not have been able to perform in my typical lab classes.”

All of my searching paid off more than I could have imagined when I was welcomed into a lab with an amazing group of researchers that are more passionate about doing science every day, than most people are in their lives.

Geiger said that her internship experience has inspired her to continue this type of work in the future. She said she has always wanted to work for the government, like Homeland Security for example, yet continue her pursuit for the yearning to work with explosives.

“I had searched for quite some time for an internship that truly interested me,” Geiger said as she reflected on her persistence of finding an opportunity she was enthusiastic about. “All of my searching paid off more than I could have imagined when I was welcomed into a lab with an amazing group of researchers that are more passionate about doing science every day, than most people are in their lives.”

Profile by Julie Dawson

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top