Interested in Being a URI Faculty Guide?
Sharing Knowledge, Developing Networks, Building Community
Being a Faculty Guide provides an opportunity to recognize and honor your expertise, share professional and institutional knowledge with others, help potential faculty candidates know more about URI, and help ensure career success for early-career and underrepresented URI faculty members. You will help by sharing expertise, enhancing professional networks, and connecting faculty members to the greater URI faculty community.
Your participation requires little time commitment – usually one or two phone calls or emails per request – counts as a service contribution, increases your own knowledge about URI, and expands your own professional relationships. You will offer a resource for busy early-career faculty, who, for a variety of reasons, choose not to go to a regular, assigned mentor, who don’t have a mentor, or who just need additional input.
FACULTY GUIDE EXPECTATIONS
Those interested in being a Faculty Guide must have recognized expertise in their area of interest. Guides will be asked to:
- Participate in a brief introductory orientation, as well as annual meeting to assess, modify, expand the program, review challenges, successes, specific issues, etc.
- Respond expeditiously (within a day or 2, if possible) to requests
- Respond conscientiously and as thoroughly as possible, making use of additional resources, team members, and outside contacts, as needed
- Maintain confidentiality and attain consent before sharing information with anyone
- Be available if other team members need to communicate with you about a contact
- Complete a very brief online contact form after each request is resolved
- Meet annually for an hour with the larger group to review issues, challenges, successes, etc.
- Commit to a 2-year, renewable term of service
- Notify program managers in writing if you decide you no longer wish to participate
Please contact Barbara Silver at email@example.com regarding any questions or to express interest.
FOR CURRENT FACULTY GUIDES