Discounted in-state tuition is available to students who meet the residency requirements for the state of Rhode Island. Also, the New England Regional Student Program allows New England residents to enroll at out-of-state New England public colleges and universities at a discount if they enroll in an approved degree program not offered by the public colleges and universities in their home state.
- If you live in Rhode Island, review the Rhode Island Residency Policy to see if you qualify for In-state tuition;
- If you live in New England (outside of RI), check to see if your degree program qualifies for the RSP Tuition Break.
- Download and complete the Graduate School Certificate of Residence form and follow the instructions for providing proof of residency.
- If you have been a registered voter for one year in Rhode Island (or your home state if claiming Regional Residency), have the above form notarized by the town/city clerk and submit to the Graduate School.
- If not, see these instructions on which additional supporting documents to include with your application.
- Mail or deliver to the URI Graduate School, Quinn Hall Rm 204, 55 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI 02881. Please do not fax or scan documents.
Under certain circumstances, students may apply for reclassification as a Rhode Island student for the purposes of paying resident tuition and fees. If you would like to be considered for reclassification from regional- or out-of-state tuition to in-state tuition complete the Petition for Reclassification form, have it notarized and send it, along with any supporting documents, to the University of Rhode Island Graduate School, Quinn Hall, Room 204, Suite 2, Kingston, R.I. 02881.
Undocumented Students Living in Rhode Island
To qualify for in-state tuition, the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education requires that undocumented students submit the appropriate forms. Review the Guidance for Students and Families of Undocumented Students and submit an affidavit and student application.
Military, veterans and dependents
Review the applicable form:
- Tuition Residency Application for Active Duty Military and their Spouses/Dependents
- Tuition Residency Application for Veterans and their Spouses/Dependents
Send the completed application and supporting documents to the address listed on the form. For more information, call (401) 874-2262 or email email@example.com.
Residency Forms and Instructions
|RI/Regional Residency||Board of Governor’s In-State Policy|
|RI/Regional Residency||Regional Residency Information|
|RI/Regional Residency||Certificate of Residence|
|RI/Regional Residency||Petition for Re-Classification|
|RI/Regional Residency||RI Residency Re-Classification Instructions|
|RI/Regional Residency||RI/New England Regional Residency Instructions|