Call for Departmental Nominations for Graduate Fellowships 2015-2016
Nominations to Graduate School are due by 24 February 2015
The Graduate School invites departments to nominate students for Graduate School Fellowships for the 2015-2016 academic year. The nomination form is available at:
URI Fellowships are awarded to graduate students in recognition of achievement and promise as scholars. They are intended to enable students to pursue graduate studies and research without rendering any service to the University.
Nominees for URI Graduate Fellowships must be enrolled in a graduate program, or be fully enrolled in a graduate program by September 2015. The primary criteria by which nominees will be judged are: demonstrated ability and promise of academic achievement; letters of reference; cumulative grade point averages; scores on appropriate national tests where pertinent; personal statements of professional objectives; and other evidence of promise (e.g., publications, professional participation, etc.). These data will be reviewed and evaluated by the Committee in making its decision. Those who have previously held URI Graduate Fellowship are not eligible.
Graduate Fellows are required to be full-time students (minimum 9 credits per semester) and may not engage in remunerative work during the academic year unless specifically approved by the Dean of The Graduate School. Graduate Fellowships provide a nine-month (academic year) stipend at the appropriate level (I, II, or III) and cover individual tuition, health insurance, 20% of graduate student fees. An additional $100 will be paid towards the fees to partially offset the cost of the commuter parking fee, which the student will be responsible for paying.
Awards are for one academic year only, with no commitment or implication either of renewal or of continued support from other sources. It is assumed that URI Fellowships will be held by students for one academic year only, and that such students will subsequently be supported from departmental or college resources for such time as may be necessary for them to complete their degrees.
- A completed Nomination Form for each nominee available at: http://web.uri.edu/graduate-school/files/fellowship.pdf
- Letters of reference and supporting information.
- Nominees who are currently enrolled in a URI graduate program should have two letters in support of their nomination. The two letters may be written by any combination of referees from the following list: Department Chair, Director of Graduate Studies, the student’s Major Advisor, or other faculty as might be appropriate. Nominees who are not yet matriculated students at URI should submit one letter of support from the Department Chair or a faculty member.
- Electronic or scanned copies of complete undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- The nominee’s Statement of Professional Objectives (maximum of two pages).
- A curriculum vitae (maximum of two pages).
- A statement from the Department Chair detailing the type and extent of support the department will provide to the nominee should he/she receive the award but not complete all degree requirements within the award year.
The criteria used by the committee to make their selections are posted on the following link:
Submission is limited to a maximum of 3 nominations for each department or degree program that is not affiliated with a department. For a list of departments please visit http://web.uri.edu/graduate-school/directors/. Submit your complete nominations to email@example.com no later than 4:30 pm on Tuesday 24 February 2015. For submission instructions please visit http://web.uri.edu/graduate-school/departmental-nominations/. We will be unable to accept nominations received after this time.
Awards will be announced by 31 March 2015, via email to the recipients, with copies to Department Chairs. The initial notices of award for the Fellowships for the 2015-2016 academic year will specify that the Fellowship is contingent upon available funding and upon satisfactory academic progress at the beginning of the Fall 2015 semester.