November 16-22, 2014: Fraternities and Sororities raised money for Violet Graney & the Graney family, Liberty Street in Kingston, Rhody Outpost Food Pantry at URI, and the Jonnycake Center of Peacedale, RI. The total amount of money raised is over $70,000!!! Greeks also donated food and toiletry items to the Rhody Outpost and participated in a Day of Service at several local sites in the South County area.
In 2013, Greek Life raised $107,000 at the “Pound the Pavement, Pound a Nail” walkathon, an annual event sponsored by the URI South County Habitat for Humanity partnership committee. In the past 2 years, Greek Life raised over $250,000 for South County Habitat for Humanity. Philanthropy Week is one of the most rewarding times for the Greek System. Throughout this week, there is a series of events where all Greeks come together to fundraise for charitable organizations. Events vary every year but can include: Dance Competition, Singled Out, Family Feud,Jeopardy, So You Think You Can Dance, Lego Construction Contest, Dodgeball Tournament, and a food & toiletry drive. In the past, the Greek System raised $10,000 to be donated to the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Foundation. Along with this major charity, the Greek chapters are partnered with one another to raise money for various other organizations.
April 11-17, 2015: Events & locations are listed below.
- Saturday April 11th – Jared Bergman Softball Tournament @ 12pm (athletic fields)
- Saturday April 11th – Chariot Race @ 5pm (Fraternity Circle)
- Sunday April 12th – Opening Day @ 11am (track field)
- Monday April 13th – Volleyball @ 3:30pm (behind ZTA)
- Monday April 13th – Mr. & Ms. Greek Week @ 7:30pm (Keaney Gym)
- Tuesday April 14th – Slip ‘n Slide @ 3:30pm (outside DZ & Sigma Pi)
- Wednesday April 15th – Broomball @ 5pm (Boss Ice Arena)
- Thursday April 16th – Greek Sing @ 7:30pm (Keaney Gym)
- Friday April 17th – Lip Sync @ 7:3opm (Keaney Gym)
For over 75 years in the spring, URI Greek Life has hosted this longstanding tradition. Greek week is defined by a series of athletic and entertainment events through which fraternities and sororities raise thousands of dollars each year for national and local charities.
URI Greek Life is lucky enough to host an event at the beautiful, Narragansett Town Beach. With everyone excited to be back at school, the Greeks host an exciting open recruitment event. Stay tuned for the Fall 2015 Beach Day information.