GSO Profiles-GSO Graduate Shannon G. McCarthy

May 28, 2020

Welcome to the ninth in our new series: GSO Profiles!  Each post will feature a brief interview with a member of the GSO community. Our first several profiles will be of GSO students who graduated over the past year. These profiles are one way we can celebrate the accomplishments of those graduating in this unusual time of COVID-19, and also welcome them to the ranks of GSO alumni.

We are continuing our series with Shannon G. McCarthy who this past December received her Master of Oceanography through the 5th Year Program. Her major professor was GSO professor David C. Smith. After learning so many interesting things about fisheries at GSO, Shannon was looking for even more “hands-on” experience in fisheries. She now works for Fathom Resources where she does different types of fisheries observing and diving. She was hired in January 2020, started the NOAA fisheries observer training in February, became certified to do At-Sea Monitoring which means for the groundfish fishery and went out on her first boat trip in March!

Here’s Shannon, in her own words:

SHows catch from GSO Fish Trawl.
A variety of fish brought on deck during the Narragansett Bay Fish Trawl (photo courtesy N. Santos).

GSOP: Tell us about your work/research at GSO: what question(s) are you trying to answer?

SGM: Through classes I wanted to explore the fisheries field with an oceanographic perspective. I had the opportunity to intern at the Marine Science Research Facility (MSRF) in the Ann Gall Durbin Aquarium Building on campus and I was also one of the Narragansett Bay Fish Trawl assistants for a semester.

GSOP: What is your favorite thing about your work?

SHows GSO Graduate Shannon McCarthy soldering.
GSO student Shannon McCarthy learning new skills (soldering pipes) at the Marine Science Research Facility (photo courtesy S.G. McCarthy).

SGM: I enjoyed learning the ins and outs of a research facility at the MSRF. I also really enjoyed being an assistant for the trawl survey because I knew the data was extremely useful for many researchers. 

GSOP: What led you to your studies/career in ocean science?

SGM: I’ve always loved and had an interest in the ocean and all that inhabits it. I grew up in Southern California. My marine biology undergraduate program was through the University of Rhode Island. 

GSOP: What brought you to GSO?

SGM: The 5th Year Master of Oceanography Program opportunity encouraged me to go for my master’s at GSO.

GSOP: How have the COVID precautions affected you?

SGM: I actually finished my degree in December 2019 so I am very grateful that my schooling wasn’t affected. But I am out of work for the time being because NOAA revoked observer coverage (all boats received waivers saying they don’t have to have an observer) back in March, luckily after my boat trip. They hope to have us back on the boats by early June with heavy safety protocols in place. Most fishing boats have continued to go out if they feel safe. I know there have been cases of COVID in fish houses, so the industry has definitely taken a hit. 

GSOP: Who have been your role models or mentors?

deck of fish trawl in Narragansett Bay
View of Narragansett Bay from the fantail of the R/V Cap’n. Bert (photo courtesy J. Langan).

SGM: David Smith and Meredith Clark were extremely helpful and inspiring. Ed Baker (the MSRF manager) was really helpful to work with and I learned much from him.

GSOP: What do you do for fun?

SGM: I love to SCUBA dive and just hang out by the water.

GSOP: What is your favorite spot or view at GSO?

SGM: I always enjoyed the view of GSO as we sailed past while on the R/V Cap’n Bert.

Heard shot of GSO gradaute Shannon G. McCarthy
GSO Graduate Shannon G. McCarthy (photo courtesy S.G. McCarthy).

GSOP: What is your advice for someone considering ocean science for their academic/professional career?

SGM: Don’t be afraid to try new things! You won’t know what interests you until you explore different options. 

Website: https://shannon-mccarthy.weebly.com/