Prospective Students have a lot of questions about the Honors Program, and why shouldn’t they?! There is a lot of information to consider, but don’t worry, we have the answers to many of your questions below.
If your question was not answered, feel free to contact us at email@example.com or call (401) 874- 2303. Also please check out the Program Requirements FAQ page for additional program information.
- Interdisciplinary courses that emphasize discussion and project-based learning
- Small class setting
- Motivated peer group
- Access to funded research and academic opportunities
- Opportunity to design and carry out a capstone Honors Project
Students do NOT need to apply separately to Honors. Students who meet the following eligibility criteria will be invited to participate in Honors once admitted to the university:
- A cumulative high school GPA of 3.80 or higher
- A cumulative high school GPA of 3.50 or higher AND a combined SAT score of 1300 or higher in Critical Reading and Mathematics (or ACT score of 27 or higher)
Note: Once at URI, continued participation in the Honors Program is based on maintaining a 3.40 or higher cumulative GPA.
Students who were not initially eligible to take Honors courses as first semester incoming Freshman, can qualify for the Honors Program based on the GPA they earn after their first semester at URI.
- URI cumulative GPA must be 3.40 or higher
To maintain eligibility and continue in the Honors Program, students must maintain a cumulative 3.40 or higher GPA.
Students who transfer to the University of Rhode Island with a cumulative GPA of 3.40 or higher from their previous college/university will be eligible to enroll in Honors courses.
Honors classes are not harder, just different!
Having the opportunity to be with bright and diverse students who value learning enables skilled professors to emphasize understanding and application of new concepts.
Smaller classes allow more time for questions, discussion, and project-based, collaborative learning.
Lippitt Hall (home of the Honors Program) offers students:
- An Honors student lounge that offers a comfortable place to study and socialize.
- A kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator
- Complimentary coffee
First-year students are NOT required to take an Honors course in their freshman year. However, there are certain perks for students who do.
With 18 credits (6 courses) required to complete the program, it is not essential to take an Honors course every semester – only to be intentional in your planning!
Any student with a minimum URI cumulative GPA of 3.40 or higher may take Honors courses, as many or as few as the student would like.
Many Honors courses are designated as general education courses, and some meet specific degree requirements. You can complete the Honors Program with any major.
Yes! Please follow us on social media!
- Twitter (@URIhonors)
- Facebook (Facebook.com/URIhonors)
- Instagram (instagram.com/URIhonors)
Also, please check out our News & Events page for the latest information on upcoming events and exciting news happening within the Honors Program and with Honors Students.