Lab Members

Niall Howlett, Principal Investigator

I received a B.Sc. in Chemistry from the University of Limerick, Ireland in 1994 and a Ph.D. in Biological and Molecular Sciences from Oxford Brookes University in the U.K. in 1999. The last year and a half of my dissertation research was carried out at Georgia State University in Atlanta. I did postdoctoral research in the Department of Cancer Cell Biology at Harvard School of Public Health with Dr. Robert Schiestl, the Department of Pediatric Oncology at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute with Dr. Alan D’Andrea, and the Department of Human Genetics at the University of Michigan with Dr. Tom Glover. I joined the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology at the University of Rhode Island in 2007.

Justin Blaize, Ph.D. Candidate

I received my B.S. in Biology from West Virginia University in May of 2018. I am currently working towards my Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular Biology here at URI. My current research is focused on metabolic pathways that are potentially biologically relevant to FA. Specifically, I am researching how the dysregulation of retinoic acid signaling and metabolism affects FA patient cells. Additionally, I have also been investigating a new potential role for FANCD2 in transcriptional regulation.

Bahaa Noori, Ph.D. Candidate

I received my B.S. degree in Biological Science from URI in 2019. I am currently a Ph.D. candidate in the Biological and Environmental Sciences Graduate Program at URI. I joined the Howlett lab in the fall of 2021. My project is focused on the intersection between retinoic acid metabolism, the Fanconi anemia pathway, DNA damage, and apoptosis. In my free time, I like to read, play soccer and spend time with family and friends.

Jessica Leighton, M.S. Candidate 

I received my B.S. in Genetics at the University of New Hampshire in May 2021. I joined the Howlett lab in 2022 and am studying the role of FANCD2 in nervous system development using the worm, Caenorhabditis elegans, as an experimental model. The fcd-2 gene in C. elegans is an ortholog to the human FANCD2 gene, making it a great model organism for this study. While not in the lab you can find me on the soccer field, the pickleball courts, or in the gym!

Kelsey Hunter, Undergraduate

I am a senior triple majoring in Biological Sciences, Anthropology, and Psychology. In the Howlett Lab, I have been performing experiments focused on the localization of ALDH1A1 in FA patient cells and conducting survival assays on patient lymphoblasts. For my future endeavors, I am interested in clinical cell biology research focused on pediatric diseases and disorders.

Samantha Nadeau, Undergraduate 

I am currently working towards a B.S. in Cell and Molecular Biology with a minor in Chemistry. I joined the Howlett lab in 2022 and am currently working with Kelsey, performing survival assays with Fanconi anemia lymphoblasts. I am also assisting Jessica in conducting experiments with C. elegans, studying the role of FANCD2 in nervous system development. Outside of the lab, I enjoy singing, playing guitar, and being outdoors.

Think Big We Do