Date: May 1, 2006 (revised)
To set forth the policy and procedure with regard to sick leave.
II. APPLICABLE TO:
Non-classified staff and faculty
1. It is the responsibility of the Dean, Director, Department Head, or Supervisor to be familiar with the said policy.
2. It is the responsibility of the employee to maintain accurate records with regard to sick leave, and the responsibility of the Dean, Director, Department Head, or Supervisor to certify the reports.
3. It is the responsibility of the employee to accurately record sick leave on bi-weekly attendance reports. Where bi-weekly attendance reports are not applicable, it is the responsibility of the Dean, Director, Department Head or Supervisor to summit sick leave data on the appropriate forms in a timely manner.
Provide an employee with pay in the event of a long or short term illness.
1. Calendar and academic year faculty and non-classified staff whose appointments are for six months or more are eligible for sick leave accruals. An employee is entitled to sick leave in accordance with the provisions of his/her union contract which prevails where applicable, or the Board of Governors’ Personnel Policy Manual.
2. Calendar year employees accrue fifteen (15) working days of sick leave per year up to a maximum of 125 days and calendar year faculty up to a maximum of 120 days. The accrual rate and maximum will be prorated for part-time employees. The rate of accrual for employees on leave of absence will be based on the percentage of pay received during the leave.
3. The appointing authority or designee may require a physician’s certificate validating the use of sick leave at any time should abuse or fraud be suspected. A physician’s certificate or other satisfactory evidence is required after use of three consecutive sick days in a calendar year.
4. A pregnant employee unable to perform her work and so certified by her physician shall be entitled to use accrued sick leave for any time she is unable to work.
5. When the service of a 35 hour, non-union employee is terminated by retirement or death, her/his estate shall receive full pay for 50% of sick leave over 390 hours up to and including 630 hours and 75% pay for hours over 630 up to and including 875. Not applicable to faculty.
6. Union employees should consult their respective contracts.
1. Non-classified staff will report their sick leave discharge on bi-weekly time cards.
2. Faculty will report their sick leave discharge on a monthly basis certified by their supervisor.
3. Any discharged sick leave should be indicated by the letter “S” on bi-weekly time cards or monthly vacation/sick leave reports (if applicable).