Date: May 2011 Revised
INTERNAL PAYROLL POLICY
To establish a policy and procedure for employing and paying:
1. Persons required in emergency situations
2. Persons working in unconventional situations
II. APPLICABLE TO:
Persons working in emergency and unconventional situations on a short term basis.
All managers and supervisors whose responsibility includes the hiring of short-term and/or emergency staff are expected to comply with this policy. The Office of Human Resource Administration will approve and audit to assure policy compliance.
The internal payroll is not to be utilized as a substitute for filling authorized funded positions on the classified or non-classified payrolls except as defined within the limits of this policy. The University restricts its use to: (1) emergency situations, and (2) those persons employed in unconventional situations, both of which are not consistent with employing persons on the regular biweekly payroll.
In situations warranting temporary employment, but not meeting the criteria for internal payroll, the University will adhere to the State of Rhode Island Merit System Law and Personnel Rules, Board of Governors policies and union contract provisions for hiring individuals on the regular bi-weekly payroll system, consistent with the University established policy for hiring procedures.
Emergency: An unforeseen circumstance or a combination of circumstances which calls for immediate actions in a situation which is not expected to be of a recurring nature. Emergency appointments made under this policy will be limited to 30 days or less.
Unconventional employment situations include, but are not limited to:
1. Summer faculty re-contracting.
2. Intermittent work assignment of short duration.
3. Athletic events (ticket takers, sellers, time keepers).
4. Per Course (part time) lecturers.
Emergency employment and unconventional employment:
- Obtain approval of appropriate dean or director.
- Complete the Internal Payroll Employment Form (IP-1), as well as the I-9 Employment
- Eligibility Verification Form, Drug Free Work Place Policy Acknowledgment, Bar of Claims
- Form (CS-386). Once the job has been approved and posted on e-Campus, the employee should
- complete the W-4 on line. Current URI employees must also complete an Additional Compensation
- Form (USP-7).
- The IP-1 Form will then be forwarded to the Office of Human Resources where it will be
- approved for policy compliance and contractual agreement prior to the individual’s start date.
- Persons working on an hourly-paid basis will enter their time on-line each pay period. Their time
- will be approved by their supervisor.
- NO EMPLOYMENT COMMITMENTS ARE TO BE EXTENDED PRIOR TO AUTHORIZATION BY THE OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCE ADMINISTRATION.
- NO EMPLOYEE MAY BEGIN HIS/HER EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION BY THE OFFICE OF THE HUMAN RESOURCE ADMINISTRATION.