URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Kathryn Plummer

Kathryn Plummer

• Hometown: Falmouth, Maine
  • Major: Textiles, Fashion Merchandising, and Design with a minor in General Business
  • Graduation Year: 2013

Why did you choose TMD?
My first job was working at Polo Ralph Lauren and ever since then I have been interested in fashion merchandising.

What inspired you to pursue this career path?
Working in retail inspired me to pursue a career in fashion merchandising because it made me want to know more about how a fashion company operates and how to be more involved.

Why did you choose URI?
I chose URI because I felt at home here. I came for Welcome Day and knew URI was right for me and signed up that day.

What has been the best part of your studies at URI?
The best part is how small and close knit the TMD department is. Being on such a big campus can feel overwhelming at times, but it is reassuring to go to the third floor of Quinn and feel right at home.

What’s been the best part of your whole experience at URI?
The best part of my whole URI experience is being forced to step out of my comfort zone. Being from out of state I knew no one when I started at URI, but I have gained a lot of great friends over the past four years.

What has surprised you most about URI?
Going to a state school outside of my home state was a little intimidating. URI and its students surprised me by being so welcoming and supportive.

What do you think of the faculty at URI?
When I first started out at URI as a freshman I was intimidated by the faculty, but over the past few years I have learned how supportive they can be once you ask for help. Helping to start an honors society with other students in my major has increased my interaction with the faculty and I have learned how compassionate they are to see their students succeed.

What do you consider the biggest strengths of your particular program at URI?
The biggest strength of my program is that it is broad in that it covers textile science, fashion merchandising, and also apparel design so you can try different aspects of the program to find your best fit. Once you find out what you enjoy you can focus in on it by taking more related classes.

What kind of internships, experiential learning opportunities, or real-life experiences have you had?
I have had two internships while in college. One of my internships was at Gossip Boutique in Wickford. At Gossip Boutique I go to dabble in visual merchandising, promotions, and styling. My second internship was at Nordstrom in the lingerie department. At Nordstrom I learned all about the company and got to meet Blake Nordstrom! Working in the lingerie department was extremely rewarding because I got to make women feel more comfortable with their bodies by fitting them into the right size bra. It was a lot of training and required a great amount of product knowledge, but it was worthwhile for such a fulfilling internship experience.

What’s your “Big Idea”?
My “Big Idea” is that you can positively change people’s lives or how they feel about themselves through fashion. Many people don’t look at fashion as being a rewarding field of study or career path. But if you really want it to be rewarding, you can make it happen. You can positively change the world with fashion.

What would you say to someone undecided about where to go to school for your particular major/program?
If you know you want to be in fashion, but are not sure which aspect of it you want to study a state school like URI is a great choice. Some schools just focus on apparel design, while other just focus on merchandising. A URI you can try those paths, as well as interior design or even textile science. There are a lot of options at a state school like URI.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top