URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Joe Grizzetti

Joe Grizzetti

• Hometown: Cranston, Rhode Island
  • Major: Kinesiology
  • Graduation Year: 2015

Why did you choose Kinesiology?
I have always been passionate about physical fitness and health in general. I think exercise is great therapy for people. I am fascinated with this field.

What inspired you to pursue this career path?
I have worked at an Alzheimer’s daycare for many years now and it has helped come to the conclusion that I want to take care of the elderly. As far as fitness goes, I became interested in it after I took charge of my own life to lose extra weight and maintain a healthy one.

Why did you choose URI?
My parents actually met here at URI. Since I was a child I have wanted to come here to follow in their footsteps. I went back and forth between majors for a while so I realized that URI would be a great choice because of the all of the options for majors.

What has been the best part of your studies at URI?
All of the great people I have come into contact with.

What’s been the best part of your whole experience at URI?
Being the Residential Academic Mentor (RAM) for the College of Human Science and Services Living and Learning Community (LLC) and also being employed at Mackal Fitness Center.

What has surprised you most about URI?
How close everyone is. Yes, the school is big but I have noticed that people really get to know each other. I have made many close friends.

What do you think of the faculty at URI?
I can honestly say I have liked every professor I have had. The professors here really want you to succeed and will make themselves available for you. Passion is really important to me. I find that my professors are passionate about what they do.

What do you consider the biggest strengths of your particular program at URI?
I feel like my program has a very skilled faculty. I have really enjoyed my classes in the department and have found that the professors have a great passion for what they are teaching. That passion drives me to do my work to the best of my ability. In addition I think that Independence square is great! The classrooms are spacious and the lab rooms are very interesting. I love having classes there.

What kind of internships, experiential learning opportunities, or real-life experiences have you had?
When I was a senior in high school I interned at Rehab Medicine at Rhode Island Hospital. It was an AMAZING experience. I was able to shadow both Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists. I knew at the end of this internship that this was my passion. These last few years since then I have been trying to figure out which of these occupations I would like to pursue. I am currently leaning towards Occupational Therapy. Personally, it interests me more than PT based on my interests and personality.

What’s your “Big Idea”?
My big idea is to become an Occupational Therapist. I want to help elderly people regain control of their lives. If they have problems with their hands because of strokes, arthritis, etc. I want to help them overcome this struggle by helping them learn how to live with it or in some cases overcome this struggle completely.

What would you say to someone undecided about where to go to school for your particular major/program?
I would tell them to come right to URI! The Kinesiology program is great here and it can take you in many different directions. I think it’s a good place for any student because let’s face it a lot of people change majors. That’s why URI is a great place because there is a major/program for everyone!

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top