URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Jenna Luca

• Hometown: Smithfield, RI
  • Major: Human Development and Family Studies
  • Graduation Year: 2014

Why did you choose this degree program?

I have always known that I wanted to study in a program where I can focus on helping others. When I was introduced to the Human Development and Family Studies major I knew that it was exactly where I needed to be, to be on track with my interest of helping others.

What inspired you to pursue your career choice?

Ever since a young age I have been interested in observing how others mentally and emotionally grow and develop. This has inspired me to pursue a future career where I can help others enhance their potential across the lifespan.

Why did you choose URI?

I choose URI not only because most of my family has graduated from URI but because it was a perfect mix of having a big campus but also being a part of a small atmosphere with many opportunities.

What has been the best part of your studies at URI?

The best part of my studies at URI has been the wide variety of classes that I have taken. Within the Human Development and Family Studies major I have taken courses covering the lifespan of development from infants all the way to older age. I feel knowledgeable in all aspects and stages of the lifespan thanks to my diverse curriculum.

What’s been the best part of your whole experience at URI?

The best parts of my experience at URI have been the many opportunities I have been given as a student, the amazing people I have met, and the connections I have made.

What has surprised you most about URI?

What surprised me most about URI is that it is such a big school but feels small and welcoming.

What do you think of the faculty at URI?

I have always had pleasant experiences with faculty members at URI. I feel as though they go out of their way to be personable with their students and to help their students in any way that they can.

What do you consider the biggest strengths of your particular program at URI?

I feel as though the biggest strength of the Human Development and Family Studies program is how the major gives students the opportunity to make their curriculum personalized for their own specific interests within the major.

What kind of internships, experiential learning opportunities, or real-life experiences have you had?

I have been so lucky to have been given the opportunities in my classes to get hands on experiences in my community. I have observed and volunteered in several classrooms and numerous programs with age groups varying from infants to elders. These opportunities help to connect what I am learning in the classroom to real life situations.  

What’s your “Big Idea”?

My “Big Idea” is to continue serving my community and helping others in any way that I can in hope to make a difference in other’s lives.

What would you say to someone undecided about where to go to school for your particular major/program?

URI’s Human Development and Family Studies program gives students the opportunity to make their academic experience personal to their specific interests. Students are not only learning about the entire lifespan in the classroom but hands on learning in the community as well.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top