Please read carefully!
The University of Rhode Island Undergraduate Commencement will be held Sunday, May 19, 2013. The Main Commencement will begin on the Quadrangle at 12:3opm. Immediately after the main commencement ceremony, the College of Human Science and Services mini-commencement will be held in the Mackal Field House. This checklist provides important details that will help ensure that the day will go smoothly.
- Check to see if you have any sanctions on your e-Campus record: it is important that you verify that you do not have any sanctions placed on your academic record. Any holds must be removed before April 15 or your name may not appear in the University program. It is your responsibility to take care of this matter. If you have any questions about this procedure, please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at 401-874-9500.
- Dress in Graduation Regalia: Be sure to pick up your cap and gown at the URI bookstore. Your student ID will be required for purchase. The College of Human Science and Services tassel is red. Honor cords are not available at the Bookstore or the HSS Dean’s office and must be purchased directly from the Honors Societies. For Honor Society information please refer to http: www.uri.edu/hpr/files/Chords.html
- Attend the main URI Commencement Ceremony: The main ceremony will begin promptly at 12:3opm on the Quad and will take about 90 minutes. Graduates should line up no later than 12 noon in front of Quinn Hall. Lines will be forms by colleges, please look for the HSS sign. You will then march to the Quad where you will be seated. President Dooley will speak, confer honorary degrees, and introduce commencement speakers and special guests. After the main ceremony, you will be escorted by an HSS Faculty Marshall to Mackal Field House, where the HSS graduation ceremony will take place. Please note that you will not be walking across the stage at the main ceremony, your individual recognition will take place at the HSS ceremony. Please refer to the commencement website at www.uri.edu/commencement rain plan information.
- Attend the College of Human Science and Services Ceremony immediately following the Main Commencement Ceremony: Once you arrive inside the Mackal Field House signs for your major will be posted on the far glass wall, proceed to line up alphabetically within your major. It is important that you line up quickly as the ceremony will begin promptly at 2:30pm and last about an hour. There will be plenty of time after the ceremony to take pictures with your family and friends, please line up immediately upon entering the Mackal Field House. A faculty member will lead you by major to your seat.
- Walk across the stage and smile!: Groups will be called by major for the presentation of diploma covers by Dean Kelley. When it is your time to be recognized, you will hand your ID card to Dean Kelley who will read your name. After your name is read, walk across the stage to Dean Ciccomascolo who will present you with your diploma cover and shake your hand. A professional photographer will be on hand to take a picture of you being awarded your diploma cover. Your actual diploma will be mailed at later date by the Office of Enrollment Services. Proceed across the stage and down the ramp where you will be directed to your seat. Please remain seated until the ceremony is over.
- DO NOT forget your Identification card: You MUST bring the identification card included in this packet with you to graduation. Please neatly print all the requested information on the card prior to graduation. Before walking across the stage you will hand the card to Dean Kelley who will read your name. After the ceremony the cards are given to the photographer so that proofs can be mailed to you. Please carry this card with you on graduation day, DO NOT give it to a family member to hold as you may not see then until after the ceremony.
Receipt of commencement information and participation in commencement ceremonies DOES NOT guarantee or confirm graduation. It is the student’s responsibility to comply with and complete all graduation requirements. If you have any questions about these procedures please call the Dean’s office at 401-874-2125.