College of Human Science and Services Commencement Checklist
The University of Rhode Island Undergraduate Commencement and College of Human Science and Services mini-Commencement will both be held Sunday, May 22, 2016.
The College of Human Science and Services Commencement ceremony will be held in the Mackal Field House beginning promptly at 9:00 am. Graduates need to be at Mackal no later than 8:30am to lineup according to major (e.g., Kinesiology, Education, Textiles, etc.). Mackal will open at 8 am for guests to enter. The Main Commencement will begin on the Quadrangle at 12:30pm. This checklist provides important details that will help ensure that the day will go smoothly.
Please read each item carefully!
- Check to see if you have any FERPA sanctions on your e-Campus record: it is important that you verify that you do not have any FERPA sanctions placed on your academic record. Any FERPA holds must be removed before April 1, 2016 or your name may not appear in the University program. It is your responsibility to take care of this matter. If you have any questions about this procedure, please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at 401-874-9500.
- Dress in Graduation Regalia: Be sure to pick up your cap and gown at the URI bookstore. Your student ID will be required for purchase. The College of Human Science and Services tassel is red. Honor cords are not available at the Bookstore or the HSS Dean’s office and must be purchased directly from the Honors Societies. For Honor Society information please refer to http://www.uri.edu/hpr/Files/Chords.html
- Attend the College of Human Science and Services Ceremony: Once you arrive in the Mackal Field House follow the signs and line up alphabetically within your major (e.g., Kinesiology, Education, Textiles, etc.). It is important that you line up quickly as the ceremony will begin promptly at 9:00 am and last about two hours. There will be plenty of time after the ceremony to take pictures with your family and friends. A faculty member will lead you into Mackal Field House to be seated. Graduates need to be at Mackal no later than 8:30 am to lineup. Mackal will open at 8 am for guests to enter.
- Walk across the stage and smile! Groups will be called by major for the presentation of diploma covers by Dean Ciccomascolo. When it is your time to be recognized, you will hand your ID card to the faculty member who led you on stage who will read your name. After your name is read, walk across the stage to Dean Ciccomascolo who will present you with your diploma cover and shake your hand. A professional photographer will be on hand to take a picture of you being awarded your diploma cover. Your actual diploma will be mailed at a later date by the Office of Enrollment Services. Proceed across the stage and down the ramp where you will be directed to your seat. Please remain seated until the ceremony is over.
- Attend the main URI Commencement Ceremony: The main ceremony will begin promptly at 12:30pm on the Quad and will take about 90 minutes. Graduates should line up no later than Noon in front of Quinn Hall. Lines will be forms by colleges, please look for the HSS sign. You will then march to the Quad where you will be seated. President Dooley will speak, confer honorary degrees, and introduce commencement speakers and special guests. Please note that you will not be walking across the stage at the main ceremony, your individual recognition will take place at the College of Human Science and Services ceremony. Please refer to the commencement website at web.uri.edu/commencement for rain plan information.
- DO NOT forget your Identification card: You MUST bring the identification card included in this packet with you to graduation. Please neatly print all the requested information on the card prior to graduation. Before walking across the stage you will hand the card to the faculty member who led you on stage, who will read your name. After the ceremony the cards are given to the photographer so that proofs can be mailed to you. Please carry this card with you on graduation day, DO NOT give it to a family member to hold as you may not see them until after the ceremony.
Receipt of commencement information and participation in commencement ceremonies DOES NOT guarantee or confirm graduation. It is the student’s responsibility to comply with and complete all graduation requirements. If you have any questions about these procedures please call the Dean’s office at 401-874-2125.