Program Planning Timeline
Below is a general timeline for planning a faculty-led program. A full year provides program directors with adequate time to prepare a comprehensive and well-structured program. To ensure that all requirements are met in a timely manner, program directors should consider using this timeline.
12 to 9 Months Before Departure
- Meet with the Office of International Education to discuss your interests and ideas for a faculty-led program.
- Complete and submit a faculty-led program request form with signatures from the appropriate Department Chair and Dean.
- If deemed necessary, conduct a site visit to familiarize yourself with the program location, including: housing, dining, transportation, emergency services, etc.
- Review visa and immunization requirements
- Begin to promote your program through information sessions, brochures, and reaching out to students.
9 to 3 Months Before Departure
- The OIE will create a page for your program on the OIE website. The OIE staff will also assist with recruitment through information sessions, creating and distributing flyers, and the Study Abroad Fair.
- Promote your program at the Study Abroad Fair, through information sessions, posters, and brochures.
- OIE will receive, process, and send complete applications to Program Directors for review. Student interviews may be conducted if appropriate.
- OIE will send out admission/regret letters to all students with information on next steps in the process and payment deadlines.
- Submit invoices for payment to the OIE for processing.
- Consult with Short’s Travel or other airlines to request quotes on group flights.
- Plan pre-departure orientation.
3 to 1 Month Before Departure
- Review and sign Travel Authorization Request (TAR). The OIE will sumbit the TAR to accounting on your behalf.
- Apply for individual and/or student visas if needed.
- Finalize student admission. OIE will register students for intended courses.
- Process program advance if applicable.
- Facilitate a Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation with OIE staff.
1 Month Before Departure
- Reconfirm all reservations with vendors/providers.
- Confirm travel arrangements with students if you are not traveling as a group.
- Ensure students have taken care of all travel documents, immunizations, and program payments.
- Submit emergency contact information to OIE.
- Addresses, emails, and telephone numbers
- OIE will enroll and print out HTH Insurance cards for all faculty, staff, and students.
- OIE staff will register all faculty, staff, and students with the US State Department before departure.