URI International Engineering Program (IEP)
The University of Rhode Island International Engineering Program (IEP) offers an unparalleled experience for students looking to become truly global engineers. IEP graduates earn two degrees simultaneously: a B.S. in an engineering discipline and a B.A. in Chinese, French, German, Italian, or Spanish. Visit the IEP website to learn more about the IEP.
As IEP students approach the IEP Fourth Year Abroad, they will work closely with the appropriate IEP Director/Coordinator and an global education advisor in the Office of International Education/OIE.
Step 1 – Working with your IEP Director/Coordinator
- Obtain admission at an IEP partner institution
- Secure an internship placement, and
- Prepare for their time abroad
Step 2 – Working with the OIE and Gathering General Information
- Complete the Study Abroad General Information Session (GIS),
- Submit Application Materials to the OIE, and
- Review information regarding URI polices as they relate to international education (grades, insurance, fees, etc.)..
- Global Education Program Application
- Student Agreement and Release Form
- Social Standing Approval Form for Off-Campus Study
- Photocopy of Passport Identification Page
Application Materials corresponding to Phase II may be found here.
Step 3 – Pre-Departure Packet – Course Registration
- Prior Approval Form
- Off-Campus Registration Fee Form
- Proof of Enrollment – Travel Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance
- International Study Cost of Attendance
The Pre-departure Packet/documets will be used to (1) assure students that they will receive transfer credit or URI credit upon completion of the program; (2) serve as a certification that the student is participating in a URI sanctioned education abroad program; (3) provide catastrophic medical coverage while abroad; and (4) certify a student eligibility for review of their financial aid package.
The Pre-departure Packet corresponding to Phase III may be found here.
All predeparture documents must be submitted to the OIE at the same time.
Important Credit Information
- IEP students will earn transfer credit for academic work completed at the overseas partner institution and URI language credit during the period of internship and URI language credit and grades during the period of internship.
- The Off-Campus Study (OCS) fee for the first term abroad must be submitted with all other pre-departure materials. The OCS fee for subsequent terms will be charged to participant’s e-Campus bill.
Deadlines to submit this paperwork follow:
May 1st – Fall semester, Academic year programs
December 1st – Spring semester programs
OIE Paperwork Q & A
IEP participants may have questions related to the URI policies and OIE documentation. To address these questions and concerns, the OIE staff will host drop-in information session to answer questions, assist with paperwork, etc. During the spring 2015 semester, sessions will be held in the Lounge of the International Center located at 37 Lower College Rd. on the following dates:
|Wednesday, February 4, 2015||12:00m – 1:00pm|
|Thursday, February 5, 2015||10:00am – 11:00am|
|Tuesday, February 10, 2015||1:00pm – 2:00pm|
|Thursday, February 12, 2015||2:00pm – 3:00pm|
|Monday, February 16, 2015||9:00am – 10:00am|
|Monday, February 16, 2015||3:00pm – 4:00pm|
|Monday, February 23, 2015||12:30pm – 1:30pm|
|Thursday, February 26, 2015||11:00am – 1:00pm|
|Wednesday, March 4, 2015||1:00pm – 3:00pm|
Students requiring one-to-one advising sessions to address questions and concerns that may not be comfortably addressed in a group settting are welcome to call the OIE for an individual appointment (874-5546/2395).
IEP Related Costs that Appear on the URI e-Campus Bill
(All fees subject to change)
Semester of Exchange (OCS 999)
|Tuition & Fees||URI resident Tuition & Fees|
|URI OCS Fee||$483|
|URI OIE Admin Fee||$350|
|URI Health Insurance*||$1,873|
*May be waived with proof of insurance and completion of waiver.
Semester of Internship*** (OCS 998)
|URI OCS Fee||$483|
|URI OIE Admin Fee||$350|
|URI Health Insurance**||$1,873|
**May be waived with proof of insurance and completion of waiver.
*** Students enrolling in URI courses, other than the 6 credits of language courses (e.g., GER 315/316, FRN 315/316, SPA 316/317) will be billed for URI tuition on a per credit basis.
Summer Internship Extension*** (OCS 997)
|URI OCS Fee||n/a|
|URI OIE Admin Fee||n/a|
**** IEP students participating on an internship that extends beyond the URI spring semester will be enrolled in OCS 997 during the appropriate summer months in order to maintain student standing for the duration of their overseas experience. While the status is directly linked to the overseas activity, it does not exempt students from paying for other URI academic credits and services (i.e. URI summer web classes, Independent Study, etc.) not directly related to the [IEP] internship.
Additional Expenses: HTH Travel & Medical Evacuation Insurance. Go to URI’s Risk Management page for rates.
For estimates related to airfare, ground transportation, passports and visas, host country insurance (if applicable), books and supplies, personal expenses, etc. refer to the appropriate IEP Student Resources page or Program Coordinator.
- Although participants are not physically on the URI campus, they should monitor their URI e-mail and e-Campus account on a regular basis and address billing, FAFSA, holds, etc. in a timely manner.
- In the event of a program cancellation, changes to the intended plan of study, reduction in courseload, program relocation or other, students must notify their respective IEP Coordinator and the Office of International Education.