Education Abroad Pre-Departure Paperwork

Upon acceptance into a study abroad program, all outgoing URI study abroad students must complete the steps listed below before going overseas. Submit all documents to the Office of International Education at the same time.

Deadlines to submit this paperwork follow:

Summer, Fall semester, Academic year programs – prior to May 1st

J-Term, Spring Semester programs – prior to December 1st

**Students studying in Italy for a semester or academic year should submit paperwork as soon as they are admitted into their program.**

If documentation listed below is not submitted to the URI Office of International Education by the deadlines posted above, students may be un-enrolled from their education abroad program.


1. Submit a copy of your admission letter.  Participants should always retain originals.

2. Complete the Office of International Education Abroad Prior Approval Form: The Education Abroad Prior Approval Form assures students that they will receive transfer credit upon successful completion of an approved study abroad and/ or exchange program.





3. Pay the URI Off-Campus Registration Fee: The Off-Campus Registration (OCS999) Fee is used to register students while on study abroad. This non-refundable fee maintains your matriculation as a full-time student at URI. In addition, it allows you to qualify for financial aid and maintain health insurance coverage during your program abroad, as well as to transfer the credits earned abroad back to URI.

OCS 999 Instructions

  • Make checks payable to URI. Be sure to include your name and URI ID number on the memo line of the check ($494 per semester/$255 summer or J-Term – subject to change).
  • Bring the OCS Fee to the Office of International Education. This fee will be submitted to Enrollment Services once the Prior-Approval Form has been completed.

4. Proof of enrollment in a Travel Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan: The University of Rhode Island requires that Education Abroad participants obtain medical evacuation and repatriation insurance for the duration of the overseas program. You will be expected to enroll in the URI authorized Travel Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan if your program provider does not provide travel medical evacuation and repatriation coverage that complies with the URI Office of Risk Management’s regulations. Participants uncertain if their program provider automatically enrolls them in a plan should consult their URI Education Abroad Advisor.

Learn more about the HTH Worldwide Insurance Services coverage, estimated costs, and find a link to the self-enrollment portal via the URI Office of Risk Management’s International Travel Insurance page.

A copy of the study abroad participant’s ID card or certificate letter from the insurance company must submitted to the Office of International Education.  Documents presented should include the participant’s name and list policy coverage dates that demonstrates enrollment and coverage for the duration of the education abroad program.

Using Financial Aid?

5. Financial Aid: If using Financial Aid bring the completed form(s) below and along with a copy of a brochure and/or acceptance letter from the study abroad program, which itemizes the costs of the program as well as indicate the start and end dates of the program bring it to Enrollment Services-Financial Aid in Green Hall.




PLEASE NOTE: If you are experiencing difficulties downloading the forms listed above, you may obtain copies of all documents by visiting the Office of International Education located on the third floor of the International Center, 37 Lower College Road.

NEXT STEP: Attend a Study Abroad Workshop


Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2017 University of Rhode Island.