URI STUDY ABROAD POLICIES
The admission of incoming and outgoing students for national and international exchange programs, study abroad, and international internships are facilitated through the Office of International Education.
- Admission decisions concerning URI international exchange programs and international internships linked to exchange programs are arrived in consultation with faculty, deans and department chairs sponsoring the corresponding exchange or URI credit bearing study abroad program.
- In the case of program providers, admission decisions are completed by the program provide with the condition that URI students have been endoresed for off-campus study by the Office of International Education.
Endorsement by the OIE is based on the following criteria:
- QPA (in general minimum of 2.5, some programs have higher requirements)
- Language proficiency (when applicable)
- Personal and academic recommendations
- Interview with an Education Abroad Advisor
- Written statement of plans and goals for the period of study abroad and/or internship (according to program guidelines)
Transfer of Study Abroad Credit
Transfer credit may be given in those courses in which the student received a grade equivalent to a “C” (2.00) or better, but no credit shall be given for courses in which a “C-” or lower was earned. Grades earned overseas, when not granted by URI (program sponsored by a URI department), are not calculated into a URI student’s G.P.A.
To receive transfer credit earned while participating in a URI approved Study Abroad Program, students must obtain prior approval from their academic advisor, her/his dean and the URI registrar. URI will not grant transfer credit for international study completed without completion of the the Prior Approval Process and payment of Off-campus Study Fees.
General Education Foreign Language & Culture Requirement
In most cases, a full academic semester abroad in an approved academic program, where students earn grades equivalent to a “C” or above, will fulfill URI’s Undergraduate General Education Foreign Language Cross-Cultural Requirement.
Students should check with the Dean of their college or the URI Catalog to determine if a study abroad experience will satisfy this requirement. Summer Study Abroad does not fulfill this requirement.
For information about non-affiliated programs, click here