Current J-1 Scholars & Professors

1. Maintaining your J-1 status
All J-1 scholars and professors MUST remember to update OISS on all changes in their program (home address, contact information, employment, etc.). Complete a new registration form and         submit it to OISS, click here to download the form. Failure to report changes might put you out of status. For steps on maintaining your immigration status, click here.

2. Mandatory Orientation

If you have not done so, remember to meet with an OISS staff person to complete the U.S. State Department MANDATORY New Scholar/Professor Orientation.

3. Employment

In general, this process requires the interaction of four university departments (sponsoring department, Human Resources, OISS, Payroll Office) and one government office (Social Security             Administration). If you have been offered employment by URI, please consult your department secretary to receive information on the steps you must follow to complete the Human Resources       and Payroll Office employment requirements. You will need the items listed below to complete this process. Your department secretary will assist you in understanding the employment                      requirements and forms listed below:

  • Human Resources Forms (I-9, Drug Free Form, Internal Payroll form, W-4 Form, etc.)
  • Payroll Office (Foreign National Information Form)
  • Social Security Card (Social Security Administration)
  • OISS (letter confirming your status at URI)

All foreign nationals MUST complete the Foreign National Information Form before they begin their employment at URI. To complete the employment process at URI, bring your completed         form to the Payroll Office along with the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94
  • Social Security Card
  • I-20 (if on an F visa) or DS-2019 (if on a J visa) or your approval notice (if an H1B visa)

The Payroll Office will enter the information from your documentation into our Windstar software to determine your taxability. The Windstar software will print out the necessary tax documents which you will need to sign. We will forward those tax documents to the Federal government for processing.

4. Dependents

If you are interested in bringing a dependant from your home country, click here

Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2017 University of Rhode Island.