Most Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q. What do I do to get a state drivers license?
    A. Take your passport, visa documents and a letter from the OISS to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can request a letter for the DMV at the OISS office front desk, Monday-Friday, 9am to 3:30pm. You must be enrolled as a full-time student and in good standing with the university to obtain a letter. For additional information about driving, please refer to our DMV page.
  • Q. How do I apply for a social security number? Does everyone need one?
    A. You can pick up an application for a social security number at the OISS. You must complete the application and submit it to the social security office, along with your passport and visa documents. While it is best for everyone to apply for a social security number, only people who may work in the U.S. (F-1, J-1, H-1B, J-2 with work permission) may obtain a number. Numbers are not issued to B-2 or B-1 visa holders. Please refer to our social security page for information about how to obtain social security cards.
  • Q. Can an international student work in the U.S.?
    A. An international student using a F-1 or a J-1 visa can work but there are many restrictions. Eligibility to work is based on full-time student status. Working on campus is possible for a full-time student for 20 hours per week in the academic year, and 40 hours per week during school breaks. For any work that is not paid by UNR, it is best to consult with an international student advisor at OISS regarding the limited options available. Additional information about working on-campus or off-campus is available.
  • Q. I would like to go to Canada or Mexico – what do I do?
    A. There is a handout available at the OISS that lists the steps an international student or scholar must take to determine if they need a visa to enter these countries, as well as information on making an appointment at the American Consulate in Canada or Mexico to apply for a visa to enter the U.S. For additional information about travel outside of the U.S., visit our travel page.
  • Q. What do I need from the OISS to travel?
    A. Whether you are an international student or scholar, you should come to the OISS prior to travel to have your visa document signed by an international student or scholar advisor prior to taking a trip. This simply tells the USCIS that you are O.K. to re-enter the United States. You will also need a passport and unexpired U.S. visa to re-enter the country.
  • Q. How many credits must I take as an international student?
    A. Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 12 credits. Graduate students must be enrolled in 9 credits (without an assistantship) or 6 credits (if they hold an assistantship). Students who drop below these limits for valid reasons must speak to an international advisor prior to enrolling in fewer than the required credits. Students who have an unauthorized reduced course load will not be able to work and may be required to apply for immigration status reinstatement through the USCIS. Additional information about staying in status can be found on the status page.
  • Q. My address and/or phone number has changed. Who needs to know?
    A. Because databases on campus are not linked, all address and/or phone number changes should be reported to all of the following offices: OISS, Admissions and Records, Payroll, and the Library. If you do not report your address change each time you change addresses, important notices, bills and announcements are likely to be lost. Request a change of address form from Admissions and Records.
  • Q. I am an international student and I do not know if I need to submit a tax return?
    A. Everyone in the U.S. needs to submit some form of tax return! If you have not earned any money or received any scholarship, its very simple. Otherwise, it can be a bit complicated. Either way, the OISS offers workshops in February and March each year to help international students and faculty learn about their tax obligations. Although we are not tax experts in the OISS, we do offer phone numbers and web sites that may help. For more information about taxes, visit our tax page


Think Big We Do

Copyright © 2017 University of Rhode Island.